autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

CQuartz - Ease of removal questions

Hello all, I am a little confused now. I've applied CQuartz quite a few times now and now I have a question on the ease of removal.

When I first bought my first bottle of CQuartz, around February, and applied it, removal was quite difficult. It felt like you were removing a dried up sugary liquid, if that makes any sense. A lot of effort was needed to be removed and it was very tacky/sticky. The MF suede cloth and regular MF kept getting caught during the removal process but I eventually removed all of it without damamge to the paint and the coating. Coating is also still there today from the amazing sheeting I saw.

Today, I opened up another bottle of CQuartz to coat another vehicle expecting super difficult removal, but to my surprise, removal was a breeze. The MF suede cloth glided over the paint effortlessly.

So my questions are:
    Is it supposed to be tacky during removal or super easy as if nothing was there?

Which scenario did you encounter during YOUR removal process?

If removal is supposed to be easy, could it be my second bottle is a different formula because I did buy it about a week ago.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had the same experience but two outcomes with one bottle. The first time it went on and off easy. The second time I used it, it was almost impossible to take off.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CQuartz - Ease of removal questions

If you are talking about Cquartz Original, it should be super easy to wipe off. If it is tacky like you described, most likely it needed more time to cure before wiping it off. I usually wait 45 minutes or longer before removal.
    Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Post Thanks / Like

I've found that CQuartz ease of application and removal is more negatively affected by cold temps than the other coatings I've tried. I did an application in Feb also in cold temps. I quickly realized it was a bad idea. Warm temps only.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DARK HORSE View Post
    If you are talking about Cquartz Original, it should be super easy to wipe off. If it is tacky like you described, most likely it needed more time to cure before wiping it off. I usually wait 45 minutes or longer before removal.
    It is regular CQuartz. I thought it was timing too but The process I used for both bottles was the same. I let it dry for 15-20 minutes and wipe off. First bottle was a difficult to remove and the second bottle was effortless.

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    I've found that CQuartz ease of application and removal is more affected by cold temps than the other coatings I've tried. I did an application in Feb also in cold temps. I quickly realized it was a bad idea. Warm temps only.
    I am in SoCal so cold temps aren't a problem for me. In February it was already in the 80s and this weekend was 90+.

Post Thanks / Like
    Coatings are finicky and CQ especially when it comes to environmental conditions. Sorry fans but facts are stubborn things. I would never touch a car using that product unless it was 68 degrees minimum.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Tad, CQ org should be very easy. Since you used the same technique both time but got different results in removal I would say the problem is the "flash / cure time" before buffing off. You need to adjust that based on temp and humidity. I find the the humidity has a lot to do with "flash" time.

For me the directions are a good starting point, but I always want to adjust my technique as needed to get the best results. Directions are for me a general idea. But everyones environment is different and that is what cause issue for people most of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

You waited too long before removal. I've used Cquartz UK three times now and found when it's hotter you need to remove it sooner per the instructions. If you let it cure too long it takes more effort to remove and feels tacky (like Opti-Coat does), but if you buff sooner it is easy to remove. Good rule of thumb is up to 5 minutes around 70*F to 1 minute around mid to upper 80's. Corey has more detailed instructions on the CarPro USA webpage.

Personally I find CQuartz UK to be one of the easier coatings to apply. Wipe on. Wait. Buff.

Edit: Just realized you were talking about the original.
    2009 Yamaha FZR Waverunner 1812cc supercharged 82 mph GPS
    2010 Honda Fit Sport (wife's car) DGES, DP, OC2.0 & CQUK tester
    2014 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 Silver CQUK

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post

I agree with Tad, CQ org should be very easy. Since you used the same technique both time but got different results in removal I would say the problem is the "flash / cure time" before buffing off. You need to adjust that based on temp and humidity. I find the the humidity has a lot to do with "flash" time.

For me the directions are a good starting point, but I always want to adjust my technique as needed to get the best results. Directions are for me a general idea. But everyones environment is different and that is what cause issue for people most of the time.

It was much easier applying and removing for me at 50 degrees. The second time I applied it in upper 80s with high humidity and it was turning rock hard very quick. I had to spray a ton of reload to wipe it off without scratching the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

I've applied CQ Original at 45 degrees and as warm as 100+... Never had a single issue with application or removal. CQ Original is an absolute wonder to apply and remove and I thought near impossible to mess up! Though I am now CQF authorized, so I rarely apply CQ Original but boy do I love applying CQ coatings when I get the opportunity to!

I've always applied CQ OG to one half of the vehicle, then did a finger swipe test to the start panel. If the swipe yielded an oily smear instead of a clean swipe, then I waited till I was finished with the other half of the vehicle until I started buffing off.

-Beach
    People > Possessions
    Instagram: @DiamondDetail_ABQ
    www.diamonddetailabq.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast