autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Wax gone after 2-4 weeks...why?

I have a 2014 Mustang GT with silver grey metallic paint on which I regularly use meguiar's ultimate paste wax.

I used Meguire's NXT paste wax on my previous 2002 Mustang GT and it usually lasted atleast 2 months if not more. I've read that the NXT and Ultimate are comparable waxes however I can't get the Ultimate to last for more than 2-4 weeks, especially on the hood. I have not been able to find anyone else complaining about the life of this wax so I'm assuming it has something to do with the new car and/or me. Also, I typically wash the car once a week with Meguire's ultimate wash.

Keep in mind both of the vehicles are subject to the same Florida sun exposure and regular rain. Both cars are in a garage at night but exposed to the elements for almost all daylight hours.

My detailing method is simple, I clay bar any part of the car that feels "rough" using a plastic bag as a feeler (after washing and drying of course). Then I wax half of the vehicle, remove the wax, then finish the rest. I always wax in my garage in the shade, always use microfiber wax pads and rags, always apply by hand, always use the same amount of wax.

Is this wax really this crappy or does it have something to do with my technique? Do the newer cars have something in the paint that keeps them from holding wax longer?

Any opinions are welcome

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wax gone after 2-4 weeks...why?

Never had any issues. What basis are you determining it's gone?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When the car is freshly waxed a clean microfiber cloth wipes smoothly over the surface (very slick) and water beads up very well. After some weeks you can barely rub a towel over it (it just wants to roll and stick to the paint), the slickness is completely gone and it almost feels "squeaky" clean if that makes any sense. Water also creates more of a slick than beads which also leads me to believe the wax is gone or almost gone.

The roof and hood seem to go first, then the sides follow shortly after...it would make me think the sun is wearing it away by why so soon?

Post Thanks / Like
    Has the paint been clayed, de-ironed, and hit with at least a paint cleaner? This will ensure you are starting with a clean surface. New cars can come with contamination from the factory.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I first got the car I clay bared the entire thing, then I went over it lightly with some P21 "paintwork cleanser" and finished up with the Maguire's Ultimate paste wax. I have done everything by hand... maybe I wasn't aggressive enough?

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I would be sure to use a clay bar then a paint cleaner (such as Pinnacles offering). Applying wax will be your last step.

I found that Meguiars waxes never lasted long in my environment so maybe another wax is in order for you. Collinite waxes are super durable.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Collinite 845 2-4 months or more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by '14 5.0 View Post
    When I first got the car I clay bared the entire thing, then I went over it lightly with some P21 "paintwork cleanser" and finished up with the Maguire's Ultimate paste wax. I have done everything by hand... maybe I wasn't aggressive enough?

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk
    That is a good approach. As in my previous post, I never found Meg's waxes to last long.
    Jim

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been more than satisfied with the results that I get from the Meguires Ultimate it just doesn't last long enough for me...looks like it's time to start shopping.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Megs ultimate is a great product but won't give good durability unless layered. Consider Collinte 476 or a coating if you are looking for longer term protection.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast