autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Share useful and weird tips

Quote Originally Posted by beamerstrumpet View Post
    Why wait till the car is all clean to do that? Why not do it first thing b4 pulling into the garage. that way any dust can be washed off b4 your drying and everything.
    the dust forms from rust. the rust forms from rinsing the car and rinsing/washing/rinsing the wheels/barrels/brakes/etc. unless you completely dry everything, if you try to get any rust off with water still anywhere in the wheel or on the brakes, it'll just form rusty water spots and such in the barrels.

with the way i described above, the blower gets all of the water out/off completely and since you are doing it inside the garage, you are not blowing stuff around from the ground and outside all over the freshly washed and still wet vehicle. after you blow all the water off inside and dry the rest of the car, when it comes time to clear the rust off the rotors by dragging the brakes, you just end up with some dry dust in there to disperse easily with the compressed air and none of it will stick to anything because everything is dry.

if you are doing everything outside because you don't have a garage, then just do the same thing to make sure everything (the wheels/barrels/brakes/tires/etc.) is dry, drag the brakes forward and reverse and then hit inner wheels and brakes with air nozzle blasts to get it out of there so it doesn't spread around during your maiden drive after the wash.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

oh ok i guess that makes sense now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    "rust dust" is a pet peeve of mine. you know, when the rotors rust and then when the car eventually leaves, the dust flies all over the place leaves a light orange film on the wheels.
    I've used Hydes Serum Rust Stopper with great success in countering rust dust. You can find it here at AG. Great thread - Appreciate the tips!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

1: There is a new product sold here, Hydes Serum Rust Stopper, as the gentleman stated above, to spray rotors so they won't flash rust after washing. Have not used it, but would like to. Auto Finesse Iorn-X gave me a horrible case of flash rust on the rotors.
    2: I use a dedicated MF short-pile GLOVE (no lint) to finish taking away any streaks left by even high quality glass cleaners and towels. This one is huge. I covet my glove. Streaks on the windshield bother me a lot more than a dirty interior/exterior.
    3: Do not dry car after wash before claying (saves from drying).
    4: Keep dressing away from inside window trim to keep from streaking when window is rolled up and down.
    5: Keep a can of commpressed air for out-of-reach dust.
    6: That rubber dog/cat hair pick-up brush actually works!
    7: Make any new purchase of MF towels color coordinated to specific use.
    8: Don't fall for the overpriced options of brushes for wheels when they are priced at a third of the cost else wear.

Post Thanks / Like

i'm familiar with Hyde's but i can't see spending the money on it. per the manufacturer, one bottle should last several applications.

it's too expensive in its current form. if they sold a gallon of concentrate at a reasonable price, i'd think about it. but the way it is now, i'd be blowing through $13 bottles left and right.

if i were a pro and doing a couple $1000+ dollar details every week, that's a different story.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I clean the interior first so I'm not tracking water(from washing) into the vehicle as I clean.
    Also, I use arm and hammer with oxi clean for carpet cleaning. I mix it in a spray bottle and apply it on the carpet, scrub with a brush, then use my extractor to put a little water down and pull out the soap. I was very impressed with the outcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Great tips guys! this is awesome stuff for newbs like me

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve got a few new ones from this weekends wash:

1. Clean your aged pressure washer tips with a wired brush. Thought my pressure wash had gone out when the water didn’t come out/came out very little and sporadic.
    2. Use your wash bucket (I have the double buckets with the dolly) to place at the corner of the car/in front of the wheel and run your pressure wash hose on the outside of the bucket...keeps it from getting caught in tire and you don’t have to buy the wheel guard!
    3. Buy a 50’ pressure hose so you can reach all around the car without moving the pressure washer. Don't save a few bucks and get a shorter one that will just be a hassle. I got a Simpson and love it.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite thing after a long drive or just to prevent bugs etching into the paint if I cannot take the time to do a full wash:
    I bought a Worx Hydroshot and source distilled water, then spray off bugs and gunk with no worries about water spotting. It’s battery powered, so I can even throw it in the trunk along with some distilled water for road trips.
    I get some weird looks in hotel parking lots, but it’s worth it. Bonus... if your car gets sprayed by a water sprinkler over night, and you catch it in time, you can rinse off with distilled and again, no spotting.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Share useful and weird tips

Borrow The Kids’ Pool Noodles For Your Garage

Do you hit the garage wall every time you open your car door? Place a pool noodle along the side of the garage, and it will protect your car door from getting dinged on a daily basis.

Keep Your Cup Holders Clean With Cupcake Liners

Add some cupcake liners to your cup holders, and when they start to get dirty, remove and replace them! I recommend silicone ones, which means you can pop them into the dishwasher when they’re in need of a cleaning.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456