autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting wax off of Black Trim

I had same problem as OP. Didn't have any APC or wax eraser. Tried and failed with the following used toothbrush and towel:
    • Peanut Butter
    • WD-40 -
    • Vegetable Oil

Finally pink eraser with a lot of elbow grease remove the spots. I had a couple of other spots that were much easier to remove.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Phillips

Here's something I posted before 2009, not sure when but I know I posted the below to the MOL forum and I came to AGO in 2009 so that's at least 5 years ago and probably longer.

The Peanut Butter trick is actually a trick that misses the mark...

Somehow, somewhere, someway someone posted about using Peanut Butter to remove polish and wax residue and the post spread from there... it continues to this day.

Here's the skinny...

If you have an open jar of peanut butter that's been used, usually you'll see some clear liquid pooling on the top of the peanut butter, this is vegetable oil.

It's the vegetable oil in the peanut butter that helps to break-up and dissolve polish and wax residue and also turn faded trim a darker color which will also act to mask the problem.

I guess the point is instead of using peanut butter which only has a LITTLE bit of vegetable oil why not just use vegetable oil? If you have peanut butter in your pantry chances are pretty good you have something like Crisco or Wesson oil.

If I had a jar of peanut butter for every time I've posted the reason why peanut butter is used to remove polish and wax residue I would have a pantry full of peanut butter...

Here's an old home-remedy for removing gum out of hair, which is a problem that sometimes happens to little kid, or how to get chewing gum out of carpet which is a problem usually caused by little kids, take and work some vegetable oil into the gum and it will act to dissolve it so instead of being a difficult, medium to remove it will break-up and then can be pulled out of or off of whatever it's stuck too...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Photecs View Post
    Even after taping - while using my PC and applying some DP Max Wax.... I got some wax on the black trim, and a couple days after - its now showing up as white residue.
    For now, I've used some trim gel to get rid of it, but something tells me it's more of a mask then a fix.

Any suggestions to remove it? Maybe OPC?

The root cause of the problem is the plastic trim car manufacturers use on their cars.

Here's a tip for anyone reading this into the future...

If you like to detail your own cars, then when you go to purchase a "new" car, look for a model or package with the least amount of plastic trim, especially pebble textured black plastic trim which is the WORST.

The people that invented pebble textured black plastic trim have never polished or waxed a car. If they had... they would understand what a horrible idea it is to used this cursed type of plastic on the outside of a car.

I'll stick to my classic 1987 Chevy Silverado. Not a single piece of plastic trim on the outside of the truck. Just chrome.

Post Thanks / Like

Amen! I love this Forum...!!!
    2013 Santa Fe 2.0T

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Photecs View Post

Amen! I love this Forum...!!!

Ha ha...

Post Thanks / Like

I admit to using peanut butter and a tooth brush many years ago (early 2000's) to clean up some black trim stained by the carnauba wax I used at the time. I liked it better than using cooking oil because it didn't run all over the place like the oil would...good 'ole Skippy creamy PB.

At the time it was the only thing I tried that actually removed the wax, and it actually did a great job. Today, there are wax remover and trim restoring products that I'm sure work much better.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

$5 bottle of mineral oil and a microfiber rag, toothbrush where needed. Magic Eraser and mineral oil on tiny textured plastics that aren't glossy. Been using this for years.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12