autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've experienced 6 months of protection with DG 105 topped with nothing...And running it through a commercial touchless car wash over 20 times during a very harsh NE winter. No sealant I've had on my car has ever stood up to that...all for under $20. It looks great too. I've got the new DG coating on her now and I have nothing on it either and I do expect their claim of two years. DG in my opinion is simply the best no nonsense, non boutique, affordable kick ass car care product company in the business.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Duragloss 105 - what kind of sealant?

Bringing back an old thread Only because I called DuraGloss and spoke to Jerry who is a chemist for them. What he told me is Interesting enough for me to post so others may understand the product better.

Forgive me if I miss spell words, just trying to explain the best I can since most of what Jerry said is way past my pay grade.

DuraGloss 105 when mixed with 601 PBA is a Poly Amino Silicone Based Product. This product does not lay on top of the surface. It adheres to it and becomes part of the surface. It bonds to the surface in such a way that it becomes part of it.

Jerry also stated that you cannot "layer" 105. Once its applied it seals the surface and it will not bond to itself. So if you apply an additional coat, your not adding any extra protection, rather maybe getting spots you may have missed.

Jerry also recommended 48 hrs to have 105 fully cure to the surface. Try to avoid getting the surface contaminated with water, bugs, etc for as stated 48 hrs.

I asked, how often should this be applied? I live in the SoCal low Desert where temps can top 120+F for up to 8 months out of the year AND the vehicle is black and sits outside. Jerry suggested every 3-4 months.

In my personal test I have found DG105 to last about as long as CQuartz UK 3.0. I was using 105 on one vehicle, the other was coated in CQuartz UK 3.0 topped with Gliss. Both were maintained with weekly maintenance washes and topped with respective products for each "coating". Though the CQuartz was glossier per se, it did not do well against bird bombs or and bugs. These contaminants etched on the CQuartz on a Red Vehicle, where as the DG105 on a Black Vehicle did not etch. Both vehicles were left outside all day in direct 120F sun.

From my conclusions. After having to have the hood of the CQuartz car compounding and re coated due to the damage, and I showed the detailer my vehicle and how the Bird Bomb just wiped off with no etching, he was amazed. Especially since this was on a Black Vehicle.

Final Thoughts? I find for the money, performance and protection you simply cannot beat DuraGloss. Yes it is an older product and Yes Si02 seems to be the new trendy thing to use, but in my humble tests? Si02 coatings were not worth the money, and or work needed to keep them up. I did not see the "protection" it was claimed to do. I did see an overly glossy vehicle that looked like it was dipped in wet plastic and if you like that super glossy fake looking look, and that is your bench mark? All power to you.

For those looking for something that is fairly easy to use, inexpensive and actually holds up? (though you do apply every 3-4 months, but your doing the same thing maintaining you nano coating too) I have stepped away from Si02 and the costly maintenance products needed for it.

So for my vehicles that are actually used daily, see extreme heat, bugs, dust storms, bird bombs, I have found weekly maintenance washings applying DG105 every 3-4 months and in between top after each wash with either Aquawax or P&S Bead Maker, and you will have a nice looking daily that costs WWAAYY less than the Si02 products especially if you pay someone to apply them. If you do it yourself? That is another story.

Hope this helps someone out there that is on the fence on these products. Si02 does have its place, just too much prep work, too much maintenance and you really need to know how to apply it. I like simple, something anyone can use.

Stay Healthy Everyone...

3. Thanks PaulMys, dlc95 thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Although it may be disputed by many, I think this in an excellent, and informative post, Eppy.

Great paint care doesn't have to cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars, And DuraGloss is the proof with many outstanding products.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

5. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great discussion by all!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Been putting DG 105 on my CaymanS for 2 years now (apply every6 months, so damn easy to use). I top every 6 weeks with DG Awax only because I have two spray bottles.
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are right about Dura Gloss products. Over all they are the best cheap,easy ,lasting and high gloss. Collinite is great also. I use a lot of spray waxes aqua wax eagle one nano wax and turtle wax spray waxes

Post Thanks / Like

I have a full bottle of DG 105 that is probably 7 years old. Do you guys think I can still use it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZpolisher15 View Post
    I have a full bottle of DG 105 that is probably 7 years old. Do you guys think I can still use it?
    I'd probably replace it, but then again I've used some old Duragloss product with great results.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123