autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Which extension cord?

I have a Griot's D/A polisher and will be working on my sons car when I visit him. He lives in an apartment which has a balcony on the first floor with an outlet. If I get a 50-100 Ft extension cord I will be able to use the Griot's in his outdoor parking lot. Question is will a light or general use cord from Husky for about $16 in Home Depot do it or will I need to spend $50 or $ 60 on their heavy duty extension cord.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which extension cord?

If I was doing it I would spend the extra money and the the heavy duty one. Electricity is not something do mess with. The cord could get hot enough with the time and draw a DA pulls. It could start a fire. Then the extra $30 wouldn't be much money. This is coming from a guy who is cheap and would gladly save a buck when I can. Some placed you just can't.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RandyD View Post
    I have a Griot's D/A polisher and will be working on my sons car when I visit him. He lives in an apartment which has a balcony on the first floor with an outlet. If I get a 50-100 Ft extension cord I will be able to use the Griot's in his outdoor parking lot. Question is will a light or general use cord from Husky for about $16 in Home Depot do it or will I need to spend $50 or $ 60 on their heavy duty extension cord.
    The garden variety cord is 16 gauge. For 50-100 foot I would lean towards 12 gauge to keep voltage drop to a minimum which will help your DA running cooler and prolong it's life. If 12 is hard to find 14 is better than the garden variety.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Did some more research and I will get a quality 12 gauge 50 foot for about $50.00.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, get at least a 50 foot 12 gauge.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Do not get the light weight one as it is most likely a 14 or 16 ga. wire
    A 14 gauge cord is only good for 15 amp and if you are going to run out to a hundred feet you will lose about 5% in voltage and amperage.
    You should never use more than 80% of the ampissaity of the cord. You need to go to a 12 gauge wire, it is rated for 20 amps. You may want to go to your local electrical wholesale house and get a 100 ft. Of 12-2-SO or SJO cord and a contractor spec grade male and female plugs. If you decide to go this route your tools will never starve for voltage and amps thus no heat build up in cord or tool and they will perform as they were intended.
    Sorry for the long reply but as a electrician by trade I want you and anyone else to be safe when it comes to electrical. Don't but the crap at Home Depot, lowes,etc . You will get a superior quality cord for the money at the wholesale house.

Post Thanks / Like

Check and see what the GG manual says. It should give you the AWG for each length of cord. I use a 16 gauge 25 ft. You just want to make sure that the outlet is putting out consistent current.
    I have that issue with one of my outdoor outlets and the DA performance is noticeable.
    inDetail, "It's all in the details."

Post Thanks / Like

16g works for a light.

For a motor:
    14g 25'
    12g 50'
    10g 100'

This covers almost anything a detailer (construction worker) will do with hand or small portable tools.

Post Thanks / Like

A 12 AWG will power anything now and later from a standard 15/20A outlet. Invest for later.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mountian man View Post
    Do not get the light weight one as it is most likely a 14 or 16 ga. wire
    A 14 gauge cord is only good for 15 amp and if you are going to run out to a hundred feet you will lose about 5% in voltage and amperage.
    You should never use more than 80% of the ampissaity of the cord. You need to go to a 12 gauge wire, it is rated for 20 amps. You may want to go to your local electrical wholesale house and get a 100 ft. Of 12-2-SO or SJO cord and a contractor spec grade male and female plugs. If you decide to go this route your tools will never starve for voltage and amps thus no heat build up in cord or tool and they will perform as they were intended.
    Sorry for the long reply but as a electrician by trade I want you and anyone else to be safe when it comes to electrical. Don't but the crap at Home Depot, lowes,etc . You will get a superior quality cord for the money at the wholesale house.
    To Autogeek Online!!

Great information on the importance of using the correct gauge extension cords..

I have 3 cords:

50' - 12 gauge
    100' - 12 gauge
    50' - 10 gauge

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast