autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Guy Problem

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up New Guy Problem

Hey everyone,

I'm brand new to hand cleaning my car. I recently purchased a shiny new Subaru BRZ and read online that you really shouldn't be taking it through the car wash due to damage it can cause to the paint.

A few weeks ago I tried my first Optimum No Rinse 2-Bucket wash. I watched a bunch of youtube videos, read some articles and felt comfortable doing it. It seemed to go well enough and I didn't notice any problems. Spurred on by that, I decided to add Optimum Wax this time after cleaning it. Here's where it went south...

I had the car outside initially, but it was 80 degrees out, no clouds with the sun hammering down. By the time I was done with the wash I just couldn't stand to be out there anymore, so I took it into the garage to apply the wax. It was only after I had taken the car back out again that I realized I left streaks like the one attached in a bunch of places on the car.

Two questions. One, does anyone know if there's a good way to fix those streaks, or do I simply have to wait for the wax to wear off? Second, can someone give me pointers as to what I did wrong to cause them and how to avoid them in the future?

Thanks for helping the new guy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Guy Problem-brz-streaks-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FNG Problem

I'm not really seeing what you are talking about--do you mean the little streaks on the black window trim?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's right in the middle of the frame actually. The image quality made it difficult to catch, but easy to see with the eye. It basically looks like water smears that just don't evaporate.

Post Thanks / Like

From the sounds of it the paint wasn't cool enough when you applied the wax.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

You have to work on paint that's cool to the touch, it was probably really hot after baking in the sun.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

gotcha. that could explain it. is there any way to easily take it off and reapply, or somehow remove those streaks?

Post Thanks / Like

I get good results with claying the car to remove such stuff from the paint, that is if the wash doesn't do the trick.
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like

And apply thin! follow the instructions on the wax, but in general thin is in!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to go against the grain here and say to reapply more product to even out the appearance.

I still can't see what you're talking about in the picture, but IME OCW streaking looks like wetter or oily spots, or are you saying they are whitish spots from the product drying out in the sun?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say to reapply more product to even out the appearance.

I still can't see what you're talking about in the picture, but IME OCW streaking looks like wetter or oily spots, or are you saying they are whitish spots from the product drying out in the sun?
    I think I can see the spots he's talking about. I agree in theory, but would differ in my approach.

I'd actually start with a QD or spray wax first to see if that does the trick. I little product on a MF towels might even things out.

My garage has some of the worst lighting possible for doing detail work. I frequently find smears or other small flaws in daylight which didn't show in the garage. A walk around outside with a spray product (most often QD) is a must for me when finishing a job. 90% of the time it clears the issue right up.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast