autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone Explain single stage and 2 stage polish

Still new to this .. Is a Stage one just a polish used with a DA or Rotary.. and a 2 stage is a cut product with a DA/Rotary and then a Polish product with a DA and Rotary? I am picking up a Griots 6" DA soon and have watched a ton of videos but they always leave things out. Like how to even take care of your buffing pads or how to handle different angles on teh body of the car. It's always some guy showing a flat surface and nothing more.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Someone Explain single stage and 2 stage polish

A single stage paint doesn't have a clear coat. Just colored paint. Most newer cars come with a base coat of paint covered by a clear coat

Post Thanks / Like

Single stage refers to paint that does not have clearcoat. Which machine is used has no bearing on it. I think you are confusing "stage" with "steps" required to return a finish to its optimal look.

If the paint condition is just horrid it may take several steps to bring it back. This can be true if it is a single stage paint or one with clearcoat.
    If the damage is light it can possibly be done with one step or product, again regardless of the machinery used, single stage or with clearcoat.

There are still modern cars with single stage paint in spite of what many think. Plain old white can be single stage on many Japanese cars & trucks as can other colors. It's not always old cars.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I worded that wrong.. Steps is what I mean..sorry! If trying to get somethign back to normal with one product and pad.. what products do you guys like? Something like HD Polish or Megs M205?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Badlilstang View Post
    I guess I worded that wrong.. Steps is what I mean..sorry! If trying to get somethign back to normal with one product and pad.. what products do you guys like? Something like HD Polish or Megs M205?
    That depends on the paint and condition of the paint.9

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    That depends on the paint and condition of the paint.
    Agreed, that is why you do a test spot (or several) to see what is required to give you the results you desire. There can't be a "one step" product recommendation for all conditions. It is your job to find out what is required. I've had some situations that took me over an hour to find out what will work and some that took 10 minutes. There is no such thing as "just use this and you'll be fine". Time, effort, and professionalism is what it takes to find the right combination.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Wish I had time to take some detail classes! Any videos you guys recommend? I realize a lot of this is just trial and error and learning as you go. My car has Cquartz Finest so I won't be doing anything with it other than Reload and washes. My buddies and family however have some cars that really need some help.

Post Thanks / Like

I can pretty much do any car that needs a tune up with Meg's 105/205, an orange and green pad, a griots orbital and blackfire Crystal Seal.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Badlilstang View Post
    Wish I had time to take some detail classes! Any videos you guys recommend? I realize a lot of this is just trial and error and learning as you go. My car has Cquartz Finest so I won't be doing anything with it other than Reload and washes. My buddies and family however have some cars that really need some help.
    If you go to the "how to" section there are a lot of good videos.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    I can pretty much do any car that needs a tune up with Meg's 105/205, an orange and green pad, a griots orbital and blackfire Crystal Seal.

This is what I was told as well.. M105 and M205 with Orange and White though. I was looking at the Mezerna stuff as well as HD Cut and HD Polish combo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast