autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

OYE! Just made a mess of my friends spoiler

Friend bought a spoiler (rear wing) from JY and brought it home to (rattle cans ordered online) repaint it to match his car. Today, two weeks later, he brought it over for me to buff out. I pointed out to him that there were streaks of primer showing through already.

I started wet sanding with 1500 and noticed a tinge of color (sanded through the CC) cause the clear was sooooo thin. Then I hit it with some Megs UC and it turned out OK. He decided he didnt like to see the streaks and wanted to re-spray it, so I got out my alcohol mix to get the UC oils off the spoiler and that's where things went BAD! I mean BADDDDDDDDDDD!!!

It basically ate the paint and made it all gummy! Now it can barely be sanded anymore cause the paint is so soggy. We rinsed it off and tried again but no luck. The paint there is just GEL now.

Anyone ever heard of the alcohol gelling the paint like this? It was only the spot I wet sanded and rubbed, the rest of the spoiler didnt gum up like that spot did.

WHAT GIVES???? Just to be sure I sprayed the alcohol on my Bonneville in front of him and just as we both thought it didnt cause an issue with my car.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Re: OYE! Just made a mess of my friends spoiler

go to an autobody supply store to get everything to repaint...from the sound of it he cheaped out on the rattle cans and essentially got model paint or craft paint...also unless the paintwork was done correctly, prepped correctly, and baked after it was finished: 2 weeks is not going to be fully cured. so go explain to the autobody supply shop the problem and they will be able to help you out no problem, (you can also get paint matched in a rattle can right there as well its about 30 a can)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chris. He is going to get the right stuff this time. He knows it isnt my fault but I still feel soooooo bad. I couldnt even take a picture, I was mortified!
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

no problem, it's a lesson learned for both of you though, he now knows not to cheap out on paint, and the best advice i have for you is if you are ever unsure of what you are working with, don't do it. my guess is that the clear coat/color coat/primer were not compatible with eachother, couple that with improper application and prep work and now you have a nightmare to fix, going to a supply shop is always the best route when painting something yourself, just like asking everyone here is the way to go whenever you have detailing questions.