autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Wet Sanding Video (Rough Draft)

Hello everyone, well I had been having trouble removing the swirls from my spoiler as some of you might know. The spoiler's clear coat is a lot harder from the rest of the car, to keep it more sturdy it is painted that way. I tried going very agressive with just FG400 and a heavy cutting pad on my Rupes and not one swirl nudged.

In the first part of the video, it was a test spot to see if just Rotary, wool pad and FG400 would do any swirl removing and the swirls didn't budge so that is why I decided to wet sand.

I took it to Meguiar's and they used M100 and Meg's Xtra cut MF pad and did a decent job but it still had a good number of swirls left.

So I decided to wet sand with 1500 then 3000 and buff it out with FG400 on my Rotary using a Tufbuf wool pad. I then was able to remove the swirls, I still have to Polish and do a final polish on my paint. I then will Opti Coat it to finally remove the swirls.

I wasn't planning on doing this today but my cousin was over and we decided to go to work on my spoiler while we waited for other things we had to do today.

Here is the video everyone!

also since I wasn't planning on making a video the camera was just hand held and we worked with what he had. (Photography wise) this is just a rough draft and will be shooting the rest of the process soon.

Enjoy...

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdlMEknQxFA[/video]

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wet Sanding Video (Rough Draft)

In the video when you see me touch the paint with the back of my hand, I was checking the temperature of the paint to make sure it wasn't heating up and it was cool to the touch so I proceeded.

My cousin doesn't do photography so that is why it was more shaky when he was shooting lol, it was his first time (Photography not buffing ) and since it was his first time doing photography, that is why it looks like I am gliding over the paint as I wet sanded because he shot it that way, but I assure you I was doing it correctly lol.

He actually is doing estimator work now at the shop, so doesn't "buff" as often these days and spends more time in the office writing estimates.

Also by coincidence I was going out on a date and decided to wear the shirt that the B24 team wore that day. So by coincidence it came out in the video lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wet Sanding Video (Rough Draft)

Here are some still photos of the sanding with 3000 after 1500

Post Thanks / Like
    So I was thinking for the rest of the video. Maybe you guys could give me suggestions and ideas on what to include in the rest of this detail.

Also if you guys would be kind enough to share your thoughts and would be great if Mike could chime in and help guide me through the rest. I would say for me this has been the hardest CC I've ever worked with and was hoping others could help me out on dealing with extremely hard CC.

Well the spoiler has hazing left but to me that looks normal since so still haven't polished and final polished. Should I polish with my Rotary or should go ahead and Polish with my Rupes? (Thoughts and suggestions)

So since the CC is so hard, what I was thinking of doing was a polish with a Rotary and a final polish with my Rupes.

I know test spots and final results would be my best answer in the end, but I want a 100% finish since it is going to be Opti Coated. The swirls that I am going to live with are the RIDS and the rest I want gone. Which looks I achieved that.

Thanks for watching and suggestions and ideas are welcomed.

Art