autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Paint Hazy

Post Thanks / Like

New Paint Hazy

Hey everyone I have a 2011 BMW 328i X-Drive. I recently had someone tap my bumper and cause a little dent meaning I needed to get the bumper repainted. I noticed right away that the paint looks hazy. For some reason it took the body shop 3 weeks to simply paint my bumper so I really don't want to take it back. Do you guys think it matches? If so, what can I do to eliminate the haziness? I'm just sick about having to have it repainted and hope I can get it to match somehow. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Paint Hazy

I think the color match is well enough, but that haze is seriously questionable. Fresh paint should be given a breather period before you take a buffer to it though, I wanna say somewhere between a month to 3 months? I'm not entirely sure, perhaps somebody else can chime in with more info.
    07 Mazda 6i

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a significant orange peel texture? Or is it just hazier?

This is something you could easily fix by yourself. But remember, least aggressive method first. So try a lighter polishing compound/swirl remover, and then try a rubbing compound or more aggressive polish, then if worse comes to worse, wetsanding will easily get it. A buffer is better but you could probably hand buff too. Consult Mike Phillips' DIYs for info on all the above methods.

Then remember to top it with a good protectant such as a wax or a sealant.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks to me like it just needs to be polished/corrected. It's news to me that fresh paint needs a period of curing before it can be safely buffed. Guys at body shop have been buffing fresh paint since the beginning of time with powerful rotary buffers and aggressive wool pads without "damaging" the paint. Of course we are talking about dry paint here.

If your BMW is Jet Black you may want to obtain the services of an experienced detailer to help you with this matter - as JB has proven tricky for some. Since the area has just been repainted - the paint may be on the softer side - only adding to the difficulty.

The thing is, black (especially JB) needs to be polished to a high degree of clarity to look superb under all lighting conditions. Every defect will show. The other issue is that it's on a plastic bumper, so you will want to go at it gently with a DA polisher to avoid paint twist, but it can be done safely at this point by an experienced detailer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies! The color is black metallic. I have a griots garage DA so I could possibly do it. They always say "wait 3 months to wax" so I'm not sure what to do. It looks like crap but I don't want them to touch my car again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dooyaunastan View Post
    I think the color match is well enough, but that haze is seriously questionable. Fresh paint should be given a breather period before you take a buffer to it though, I wanna say somewhere between a month to 3 months? I'm not entirely sure, perhaps somebody else can chime in with more info.
    You can polish it with a buffer but its not recommended to wax or seal it for 30-90 days.

Post Thanks / Like
    So then does a body shop only use polish on it after they wet sand paint? I came across an article on it but I'm a little apprehensive because I don't want to mess anything up. It looks like crap but I could probably wait out the three months.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...t-30-days.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by badger91 View Post
    So then does a body shop only use polish on it after they wet sand paint? I came across an article on it but I'm a little apprehensive because I don't want to mess anything up. It looks like crap but I could probably wait out the three months.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...t-30-days.html

??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by badger91 View Post
    So then does a body shop only use polish on it after they wet sand paint?
    I promise you it's safe to buff fresh paint after it's dry a few days. It's likely going to be softer. The "waiting period" is for waxing/sealing so the paint can out gas or completely cure. Of course, go at it with the least aggressive product / method / technique first.

You don't have to wet sand fresh paint to buff it. Just be careful on buffing freshly painted plastics/bumpers to not buff with high heat - as the paint could twist. Of course, this could happen while buffing on any plastic when you let the buffer get too hot.

Post Thanks / Like

try WGFG on either a white to gray pad. that should take the haze out. i wouldnt put a sealant or wax over top just yet though

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast