autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Sealant showdown

Sorry guys I know it's been long awaited but I finally got around to going it. I didn't get to use all the ones I wanted but I think it's a good group of sealants

Paste products were allowed to cure for 30 mins on Thier respective sections.

We have Meg's d166, meguairs says it has a long durability time frame so I figured since it's a new guy on the block we might as well test it out.

Hi temp paste fk1000, probably the favorite among most as it's been known to outlast most it goes against

Gyeon can coat, if you didn't know this stuff is the real deal. Everytime I open the can the lid had all kinds of dried up Crystal's in it, it's easy to apply and gives a great shine. I also noticed that this seemed to blend the orange peel off the paint very well

McKees hi def Paint sealant, as many have experienced the longer you leave it on the more slick it becomes but does that translate to longer protection??

Ultima paint guard plus, another classic wipe on wipe off which you don't really hear about much anymore but it's so easy to use let's see how it compares

Sonax PNS, used to be my go to for paint protection but the sometimes hard to apply application and that snagging feel when you went to wipe it off just turned me off in the end.

Megs ultimate fast finish, the can says a year of protection but we know that most haven't seen anywhere near that so let's see what we get in a more controlled environment.

And the ?, This is not sold by AG so I respect the rules of this great Forum so will not post it's name but I feel it's still a great product and was Ted to see how it will hold up.

And One bare section as out control section

This test hood will sit outside in the desert sun in coved 24/7 until all sealants are spent.

The hood was washed with d114, clayed with a nanoskin pad and then wiped with d114. They will be washed weekly with d114 in a waterless mixture as well.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant showdown

Here's each section

Post Thanks / Like

This looks promising, and I look forward to the results. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarefulCleaner View Post
    This looks promising, and I look forward to the results. Thank you.
    Np, the weekly washes will be videos and I'll load them to YouTube and post the links.

I'll do the basic misting for beads and water flow for sheeting and I guess I can do the pressure washer blast now and again..lol

Post Thanks / Like

This is great. I am about to do two hoods sectioned off for sealant comparisons. I'll have very little overlap with what you did. Looking forward to the results.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

6. Thanks tynermccullar32 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    This is great. I am about to do two hoods sectioned off for sealant comparisons. I'll have very little overlap with what you did. Looking forward to the results.
    Nice!! What will you be comparing??

Post Thanks / Like

Great test with a great array of products!!! Thanks for putting in the time for this test!!!! Have been impressed with Ultima Acrylic Spray Wax and UWW+ and wondering how Ultima Paint Guard + would compare with FK1000.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    Nice!! What will you be comparing??
    Whatever I can round up in the next week or so. ~6 spray sealants/waxes and another 6-8 wipe on, buff off sealants. I'll be into rain almost every day fairly soon. Challenging environment for sealants to hold up. All stuff we've all seen or used before - just want to see it side-by-side in the weather.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Well in my opinion this kind of testing should be done on daily driven car. that will be the real test for any kind of sealant or wax...When you drive the car there there are so many things to consider like friction from driving on highway, traffic film etc...So that way durability of any sealant can be put to the real test..
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality." - Ayn Ran

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    Well in my opinion this kind of testing should be done on daily driven car. that will be the real test for any kind of sealant or wax...When you drive the car there there are so many things to consider like friction from driving on highway, traffic film etc...So that way durability of any sealant can be put to the real test..
    I agree with this but the only bad part is that it would take years to get comparisons of each and by then a newer better product would probably be released. This is the only way I can see getting a base line and then adding in real world situations to reduce the timeframe

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast