autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Critique my method

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post. Questions and areas of concern have been highlighted in RED. I have spent many years working on cars, and I am just beginning my venture into the detailing world. This forum has been so helpful and I've been very satisfied with my purchases from the store so far. Without further ado:

1) Apply touch up paint a week prior to detailing
    . I have a few deep scratches that I will apply touch a week or more in advance. This is a topic for another post, but I feel very confident in my ability to properly "fix" these scratches.

2) Wash with 2 bucket method. I plan on using a normal amount of Meguire's gold car wash. Starting with wheels, (using Meguires tire and wheel cleaner, a dedicated microfiber wheel mitt and a long handled wheel brush) then top to bottom (using microfiber wash mitt). Finish with a final rinse. Gently dry with waffle weave (starting with glass), use compressed air to blow H20 out of crevices. Is the Meguire's tire and wheel cleaner an acidic cleaner? What products are recommended for an all type wheel cleaner here? Should I pre-wash a new microfiber wash mitt like I do with my towels?

3) Clay vehicle. Using a fine clay and spray wax. Re-kneading every so often. I will do all the painted panels first, then the headlights, wheels, and glass. Wiping residue with a fresh microfiber towel. I like to take a razor blade to heavily soiled glass first, then clay. Can rough plastic surfaces like trim be safely clayed? Should I clay wheels before or after glass? Should I re-wash after this step?

4) Test spot. Tape off an area, start with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 and a CCS Gray finishing pad. Move onto Wolfgang Swirl Remover with CCS Gray, then CCS Orange cutting pad if needed. Aim is to use the least invasive method that yields the best results. For this post I'll assume the Wolfgang Swirl Remover and CCS Orange was used.

5) Tape off. I'll use 3M's professional grade tape. Taping off all rubber and plastic trim, the head and taillights, emblems, badges etc. Is there anything else that needs to be taped off?

6) Remove swirls. Using PC7424. Season pad by working in an ample amount of product. Apply product to pad with 3 blobs size of a dime. Spread on low setting, work on 5-6 setting. I'll be working spots about 16 inches by 16 inches. 6-8 passes, or whatever yielded the good results in my test spot. Wipe off with microfiber towel. Clean pad periodically using the clean on the fly method and a terry cloth. After use, clean foam pad with Wolfgang Pad Cleaner. Should I use microfiber for clean on the fly?

7) Polish. Using Wolfgang Finishing Glaze and a CCS Gray pad. Same 16x16 size sections, same amount of passes. Wipe clean with a new microfiber towel. Clean pad on the fly. After use, clean foam pad with Pad Cleaner. Should I put my DA on a lower speed?

8) Sealant. I'll be using Chemical Guys Jet Seal (probably not the best product, but I got a really really good deal on it) and a CCS Gray. Season pad, apply to car, let sit for 20 mins, wipe off with fresh microfiber. Can the entire car be sealed, including glass, rubber, plastic and wheels?

9) Clean glass. Glass has already been clayed. At this point I'm just going back to make sure they are spotless. Apply automotive glass cleaner, wipe with microfiber towel for glass, go back with a dry microfiber if there are any streaks. I then use RainX.

10) Remove Tape.
    Do it at an angle so you don't get any residue left behind.

11) Tires. Dress tires with applicator sponge, following directions on bottle of product. Is there a quality product that I can find at Walmart or Autozone?

12) Plastic trim
    . Looking for a good product for the black plastic trim. Any recommendations?

13) Wheels. Should I be sealing or waxing the wheels in any way?

14) Final inspection.

15) Clean up. Wash microfiber towels in warm H20 with tide free and clear. Tumble dry low, store in plastic bags.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Critique my method

3). You don't use a spray wax with clay. Use a clay lube or QD.

4). You use swirl remover prior to finishing glaze. If needed.

Also. I do all wheel work prior to polishing, waxing etc... Saves me from any additional mess cleaning tires and wheels may make.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    3). You don't use a spray wax with clay. Use a clay lube or QD.

4). You use swirl remover prior to finishing glaze. If needed.

Also. I do all wheel work prior to polishing, waxing etc... Saves me from any additional mess cleaning tires and wheels may make.
    Thanks for clearing that up. I'll probably go with some QD. I think Larry from ammoNYC mentioned using spray wax in one of his videos and probably got me confused.

That's a great idea to do wheels first. (This is why I love this forum) What products to you use to clean and protect your wheels and tires? I'm looking for something "universal" that's safe on all finishes to avoid buying separate products.

I'd really like to try sealing my wheels with the CG Jet Seal. It claims it's safe on the bottle, but I'm not sure if I should get something wheel specific.
    Last edited by phish; 05-15-2014 at 11:34 AM. Reason: format

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phish View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up. I'll probably go with some QD. I think Larry from ammoNYC mentioned using spray wax in one of his videos and probably got me confused.

That's a great idea to do wheels first. (This is why I love this forum) What products to you use to clean and protect your wheels and tires? I'm looking for something "universal" that's safe on all finishes to avoid buying separate products.

I'd really like to try sealing my wheels with the CG Jet Seal. It claims it's safe on the bottle, but I'm not sure if I should get something wheel specific.

I use Chemical Guys Signature Series wheel cleaner on my tires and wheels for cleaning, does a grea job, but I am sure theres better products out there. You can use JetSeal on your wheels for sure, shouldnt be an issue.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phish View Post

If you are looking for something to clean the rims and tires with by using the same product, you can't go wrong with the Meg's All Rim & Tire Cleaner. Comes in a pinkish bottle, and you can get it on sale at Wally world right now for around $4.50. I tried the Meg's Brake Dust Barrier on my rims(Factory Clear Coated) and it was pretty good. I have now started using the Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax on my rims. Works great!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigfilly View Post
    If you are looking for something to clean the rims and tires with by using the same product, you can't go wrong with the Meg's All Rim & Tire Cleaner. Comes in a pinkish bottle, and you can get it on sale at Wally world right now for around $4.50. I tried the Meg's Brake Dust Barrier on my rims(Factory Clear Coated) and it was pretty good. I have now started using the Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax on my rims. Works great!
    Yea I was looking at the Meg's product. Just not sure if it's acidic or not...