autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to revive water beading of Opti-Coat?

I had my car professionaly Opti-coated a tad over a year ago. Car is outside 24/7, was not washed all winter and it's not beading at all now after doing a standard hand wash using Mothers California Gold car wash. Car must have a film on it that this wash isn't taking off. Suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to revive water beading of Opti-Coat?

Are you sure the coating is still holding up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kbreeze View Post
    I had my car professionaly Opti-coated a tad over a year ago. Car is outside 24/7, was not washed all winter and it's not beading at all now after doing a standard hand wash using Mothers California Gold car wash. Car must have a film on it that this wash isn't taking off. Suggestions?

I have a similar situation. I know I have good coverage. The problem in my case is that the car sits all day about 3 miles from DFW airport. I'm going to clay it and let you know the outcome...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post
    Are you sure the coating is still holding up?
    I would certainly hope so after only one year when it's advertised as a permanent coating. Plus I had it professionally done by an authorized OC installer. Nothing at all abrasive has been applied to the finish. Just a few basic hand washes with car soap and chenille microfiber mitts. There is no reason it shouldn't still be intact.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I have a similar situation. I know I have good coverage. The problem in my case is that the car sits all day about 3 miles from DFW airport. I'm going to clay it and let you know the outcome...
    Yeah let me know how that works for you. I was also thinking of trying a wash with Optimum Power Clean but I am not sure exactly how to use that on the paint finish (What ratio and the specific procedure)

Post Thanks / Like

Did your professional:
    -apply Opti-Coat 2.0,
    -or, apply Opti-Gard?

Since it's been 6+ months (including not being washed the entire Winter) the Coating is in need of a good cleaning---claying and a mild polish should do the trick.

If still concerned...contact the professional.
    Initially...He/She probably wanted to set you up on a
    regularly scheduled maintenance plan anyway.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Did your professional:
    -apply Opti-Coat 2.0,
    -or, apply Opti-Gard?

Since it's been 6+ months (including not being washed the entire Winter) the Coating is in need of a good cleaning---claying and a mild polish should do the trick.

If still concerned...contact the professional.
    Initially...He/She probably wanted to set you up on a
    regularly scheduled maintenance plan anyway.

Bob
    It was Opti-Guard, the professional version. He is an authorized installer. For the record it's only been about 5 months. I washed it when spring broke but just finally getting around to asking the question.

With regards to a polish, here are my concerns:

1.) If I use anything with abrasives which I think all polishes have, I think it might remove some of the coating. Also, just for the record I don't own a polisher.

2.) No idea which polish to use. I don't want to use anything that would make a finish bead water regardless if it was opti-coated or not because then how would I know if My OC is fine and still all there?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah let me know how that works for you. I was also thinking of trying a wash with Optimum Power Clean but I am not sure exactly how to use that on the paint finish (What ratio and the specific procedure)
    There was a similar thread about a year ago. Everyone jumps to the conclusion that the product failed. That particular case the vehicle was parked in an industrial area and never washed. The product didn't fail but it did allow industrial fallout to bond to it. In my case I know being that close to that busy of an airport jet fuel will stick to it. On top of that my son doesn't wash his vehicle regularly. I'm assuming light clay will take it off. I'll let you know

Post Thanks / Like

Some car soaps contain "spot free rinse" type additives that can temporarily suppress water beading right after a wash.

Post Thanks / Like

How to revive water beading of Opti-Coat?

I would not polish at all. Chances are you simply need a very thorough decontamination to remove the "film" from the surface.

I would recommend a very thorough wash with a product like CarPro Reset, consider using some APC like diluted power clean during the wash if you feel it is needed, then iron x, tar x (or tarminator), clay very well (check results with baggie test), then wash again to see if beading has returned.

Retired Professional Detailer

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast