autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to revive water beading of Opti-Coat?

Interesting thread! So u have to maintain the Opti-Coat? What is the best way to do this? How about if you wash your car regularly? Would that be enough?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stilltipping3 View Post
    Interesting thread! So u have to maintain the Opti-Coat? What is the best way to do this? How about if you wash your car regularly? Would that be enough?

Of course you have to maintain it. A coating may make for easier maintenance, but it is definitely not maintenance free if you want it to perform for more than a year or so.

Routine washing is key, of course, but the paint should also be decontaminated once or twice a year using chemicals like IronX and TarX, and clayed if needed (per baggie test inspection). You can also use a product like HydrO2 or Reload to provide additional protection and maintain perfect hydrophobic properties.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

carpro reset shampoo and carpro ironx would be what I would try before using a paint cleaner or light polish...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    I would not polish at all. Chances are you simply need a very thorough decontamination to remove the "film" from the surface.

I would recommend a very thorough wash with a product like CarPro Reset, consider using some APC like diluted power clean during the wash if you feel it is needed, then iron x, tar x (or tarminator), clay very well (check results with baggie test), then wash again to see if beading has returned.
    Thanks this sounds good, but I am a little confused. Are you saying I should use CarPro Reset AND an APC like Power Clean together in doing a thorough wash or can I use just one or the other. The Iron X I was thinking about because I liver near and cross over railroad tracks almost every time I drive. The Tar X I had not considered. I guess this just removes any road tar that might be on the car?

Post Thanks / Like

Two of my cars have coatings, and when the beading seizes I know its time for a good wash. A traditional 2 bucket wash will take care of your issue. You can add a paint safe APC (i prefer BF apc) to the solution to give it more bite but not always needed.
    2017 Mercedes Benz AMG C43
    2016 Acura MDX SH-awd

Post Thanks / Like

Can you safely use Iron-X on a car that has Opti Coat? I ask this because on Gtechniq's website, they specifically state to not use Iron-X after Gtechniq coatings are applied. This could be comparing apples to oranges, but the thought had occurred to me.

17. Will Iron-X or other degreasers remove or damage Gtechniq coatings?

Yes, it could damage the coating, as will all high alkaline chemicals. It is recommended to use Gwash as a simple soap, which will remove all dirt.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    Can you safely use Iron-X on a car that has Opti Coat? I ask this because on Gtechniq's website, they specifically state to not use Iron-X after Gtechniq coatings are applied. This could be comparing apples to oranges, but the thought had occurred to me.
    You can use any paint safe spray chemical on OptiCoat, according to Optimum. Nothing should damage the coating that won't damage paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kbreeze View Post
    It was Opti-Guard, the professional version. He is an authorized installer. For the record it's only been about 5 months. I washed it when spring broke but just finally getting around to asking the question.

With regards to a polish, here are my concerns:

1.) If I use anything with abrasives which I think all polishes have, I think it might remove some of the coating. Also, just for the record I don't own a polisher.

2.) No idea which polish to use. I don't want to use anything that would make a finish bead water regardless if it was opti-coated or not because then how would I know if My OC is fine and still all there?
    For the record:
    Clay does have abrasives in it. Absolutely.
    No way around it!

Now what to do?
    Answers are all over the board.

From Optimum Polymer Technologies perspective:
    "Please do not take beading and sheeting as the primary property of Opti-Coat. In this department: It underwhelms...at least for the initial 6 months

Opti-Coat protects and protects"!!

IMHO:
    If dissatisfied with the lack of beading; but wanting it to "re-appear"; yet not wanting to utilize any of my previous "cures"; then (and against my better judgement) use one of these methods:

•Optimum's
    -Opti-Seal
    -Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer
    -Spray Wax

•CarPro's Sealants
    -Reload
    -Hydr02

•Sonax
    -Polymer Net Shield

•Contact your professional

•Contact OPT (Dr. G)

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had the same problem. Takes a few washings before you get it clean enough to start beading again.

Post Thanks / Like

I want to try and do this without any abrasives first, including clay. So I think for now I am going to try CarPro Reset and Iron X. Anyone know who has the best price on it?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast