autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to revive water beading of Opti-Coat?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    There was a thread very similar to this one about 6-8 months ago. Car hadn't been washed etc etc. it ended up taking clay to get down to Opti-coat. I would definitely try non abrasive fist, but keep in mind you might end up having to use clay...
    Yeah it's no biggie if I have to clay I was just would prefer not to, because it's one less step and also no chance of marring etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kbreeze View Post
    So your recommendations for Clay is basically every bar that AG sells, but a preference toward the Meguiars kit??
    I like that Meguiar's clay kit (it's got the good ol' QD).

I figured if this particular suggestion of mine
    didn't appeal to you:
    I provided a quick-clay-link...So picking another one of your liking, from the AGO store's myriad clay selection, would be facilitated.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not exactly sure if this will help, but I put cquartz uk on my truck and for some strange reason the beading and sheeting dies out every week on the sides of my cowl hood every week or so. Nothing I wash with revives it once it stops, but after a wash, while it is still wet, I do two sprays of eraser on each side, and then dry the hood and it beads like crazy again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by top189h View Post
    I'm not exactly sure if this will help, but I put cquartz uk on my truck and for some strange reason the beading and sheeting dies out every week on the sides of my cowl hood every week or so. Nothing I wash with revives it once it stops, but after a wash, while it is still wet, I do two sprays of eraser on each side, and then dry the hood and it beads like crazy again.
    That leads me to believe something in your shampoo is remaining on the surface and eraser is removing it... what shampoo are you using?

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Is the cowl painted or a different material? If the latter, is there a product being applied to the cowl that may be migrating to the paint and causing the issue?

Post Thanks / Like

In on thread

Post Thanks / Like

@Zmcgovern45 I have used reset, hyperwash, Adams, and dp extreme foam, and I've had the same results with all of them. @ Dan K it's a one piece steel hood and it was painted at the same time as the rest of the truck with the same paint and everything. The cowl portion in the center beads perfectly, but the flat part of the hood on either side loses it. It still feels slick but water just sticks to it.

Post Thanks / Like

@Zmcgovern45 I have used reset, hyperwash, Adams, and dp extreme foam, and I've had the same results with all of them. @ Dan K it's a one piece steel hood and it was painted at the same time as the rest of the truck with the same paint and everything. The cowl portion in the center beads perfectly, but the flat part of the hood on either side loses it. It still feels slick but water just sticks to it.
    You probably should have went with
    one of Optimum's Coatings.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to try opticoat on the polished aluminum on my new trailer, but I must say, I don't regret the cquartz at all. I can't compare it to opticoat yet, but I must say it is the slickest thing I've ever felt on paint and the three cars I put it on literally rinse clean. It was well worth it in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kbreeze View Post
    I had my car professionaly Opti-coated a tad over a year ago. Car is outside 24/7, was not washed all winter and it's not beading at all now after doing a standard hand wash using Mothers California Gold car wash. Car must have a film on it that this wash isn't taking off. Suggestions?
    I would agree with what Zach has already recommended. A good wash followed by IronX and TarX/Tarminator and then another quick wash. Usually that is enough to bring things back to life. I wouldn't clay until after a chemical decon has been done first. If after the chemical decon things still aren't beading then you may want to consider claying and using an AIO "lightly", like Poli-Seal.

Coatings still require regular washing. Do this and they will bead for years, neglect it and in just a few months beading can start to fail. OCP just passed the 2 year mark on my current car and it's still going strong, even with some neglect last winter.

Rasky
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast