autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle Black Label Paint Coating Application Tips?

Hi everyone,

I gave the PBL Paint Coating a try yesterday. I noticed that whenever I would apply it with the foam applicator, some areas would not spread evenly.

The instructions say to buff out high spots with a towel. Does this remove the coating?

Any tips on applying this?

Post Thanks / Like
    You're doing it right. Mist the applicator once to prime it then just mist the panel you are working on. High spots are just excess product and you can remove them safely with an mf towel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pinnacle Black Label Paint Coating Application Tips?

Let me share some application tips I've wrote earlier in another thread,

it may not be considered 'literally', there are only some general ideas I'd like to share regarding how I am applying the coating in my business. After many coating applications, I've reached ~this follow up:

START OF QUOTE:

... Like we already discussed above, more product (than recommended) may be needed. I'm leaning towards using more product in form of 'applicator re-priming', since I've notice this makes spreading even smoother.

To start, I'll use 2 pictures of applicators format I like better:

(any applicator alike would work the same) - choose one you prefer.

This is the Blackfire wax applicator

And this is CG red wax applicator

Mentally divide the area of work in several work sections. In the example bellow, this large hood was tackled in 8 smaller sections (overlapping the last few inches to guarantee uniform coverage)

Now, it's time to decide how much product is needed - Plenty. Not much, but not little. If I had to decide I would risk towards a bit for more than for less: in case you over apply you can spread it a bit further yet guarantee full coverage on area you're working on.

I prime the applicator to start with 1-2 spritz of the coating.

Then I would spray the paint in one of the bellow modes, but it can be made in a dozen different ways.

**NOTICE, spray one or two mists and just one section at a time.

Try to spray it FINELY MISTED, not in large drops.

Immediately, spread evenly with 'firm grab' to applicator since it (applicator) may be tacky to the uncoated and 'fully stripped' paint we'll be working on.

**DO A TEST TO UNDERSTAND THIS BETTER: Get your new/clean applicator, and even before you prime it, put it over the paint and try to 'glide' it. You'll notice the applicator will not move freely over the paint, it'll drag.

RECORD THIS 'TACTILE' SENSATION: applying the coating is not just a 'VISUAL' task, you have to feel area you're applying just as well. On the end of a section, applicator should slide over surface, and not DRAG like it was on uncoated sections.

When you reach a 'drag section', that means where you stopped applying and from where you should move from now on.

- Although a firm grab to applicator, do not exert any pressure this time.

This also may be done ~fast, but not crazy fast. You want to spread product over section before it starts drying (which is fast!).

Objective here is uniform spreading, up and down until whole area is covered.

As soon as you finished spreading up / down, do the same side-to-side

Good!
    In some cases, you may see some 'checkered' pattern since this is what we've done spreading up/down, side to side. When you are doing this 'square / rectangle' of application, be assured to cover all corners following vehicle's curves on design.

Don't worry, it's only important now that product is distributed evenly.

Now that you've spread, you'll have some ~30-40 seconds to work product over and 'into the paint' (work time may vary with temperature and humidity).

If you ever applied a Wax by hand (who doesn't!?), it's the same.

As soon as you finished the side-to-side spreading, you'll work the product like applying wax in circular motions.

I've made circles in red since this part may need a bit of pressure (nothing crazy, again), and somewhat fast circles in order to work product and give it an even aspect (not crazy fast).

Do your best like you're spreading a thin coat of wax.

After the circular movement, I finish my application without ANY pressure moving applicator UP / DOWN just 'gliding' it over applied section, FEELING the area for drag or smoothness.

I call this 'smoothing' phase of application. This will guarantee even application and get rid of high spots by softly spreading then on the above layer.

Always pay huge attention to what your hands are feeling.

[Coating application is as much a 'tactile' experience than visual.]

You may feel exactly where you have applied the coating, but generally you won't 'see' it.

After 1/3 a hood like that, or 1/2 of it, I may go with a slight pass of a MF towel over section.

You can go with towel over every section you finished if you feel spots are drying too fast.

Please, this is a general guide, for sure I have many adaptation depending on area being coated.

You can start side-to-side instead of up/down and vice-versa.

But in practice, my sequence is priming the pad (and re-priming when needed), spritz the section, spread it in both directions (add more product if what you've added won't cover work area), work it in circular motions for ~1 section pass (generally enough), then smooth it, then buff it.

To smooth, you may go 1 second up, 1 second down, and if you find a high point you may go up/down 2-3 times short/fast movements (but ANY pressure) over it, and smooth, smooth...

If you find the need, do some circular movements on some area to smooth it even more.

After a whole panel, I may go over it again with a soft MF towel (NON-LINTING) to do what Mike Phillips call 'final wipe' (something like this).

This technique consists basically of slooowly making the last wipe, over panel, it's slow to guarantee quality on what you're doing.

(sorry, I can do it, but cannot explain!) kkkkk

How difficult is to explain that in words!?

Hope my tips may add some ideas for you,

Any critics, suggestions, are really welcome.

Kind Regards.

---- END OF QUOTE ---

I've edited some parts adding even more for you to get more ideas for your next application.

Please, ask what needed,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pinnacle Black Label Paint Coating Application Tips?

Very informative. Well done!
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.