autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Using Meguiars Wheel Brightener to decontaminate Rail Dust?

I've heard from someone purchasing detailing products at my local supplier state that you can use meguiars wheel brightener to remove rail dust on paint of cars, is there any truth to this?

I've used this product over the past year for when it comes the need to use such an aggressive product if the wheels are caked with built up brake dust and know all the precautions and warnings with how aggressive this product is just curious to this statement I heard before I even think of growing the balls to attempt spraying it on paint of a vehicle lol

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using Meguiars Wheel Brightener to decontaminate Rail Dust?

i would not use wheel brightener on paint!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Lotsa wheels are painted though... but I wouldnt use it on my paint. IRON-X and clay also work on rail dust and that is what they are made for.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like
    I have clay, along with the nanoscrub medium and fine wash mitts, I posted on this strictly out of curiosity

Post Thanks / Like

It should work as paint is clear coated just like the wheels. However, I wouldn't recommend the use of Wheel Brightener as it is not the safest product out there. It contains Ammonium Bifluoride which results in Hydrofluoric acid when put into solution with water.

Here are the hazards from the MSDS of ABF:
    "Potential Acute Health Effects:
    Extremely hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant), of eye contact (irritant), of ingestion, of inhalation. Very hazardous
    in case of skin contact (corrosive). Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (permeator). The amount of tissue damage
    depends on length of contact. Eye contact can result in corneal damage or blindness. Skin contact can produce inflammation
    and blistering. Inhalation of dust will produce irritation to gastro-intestinal or respiratory tract, characterized by burning,
    sneezing and coughing. Severe over-exposure can produce lung damage, choking, unconsciousness or death. Inflammation
    of the eye is characterized by redness, watering, and itching. Skin inflammation is characterized by itching, scaling, reddening,
    or, occasionally, blistering."

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use WB on anyone's cars paint - except mine. Seriously though, do not use that stuff on paint. The factory "paint"/powder coating on wheels is much more durable/harder than the paint on the car body. It's not just all "the same paint". Not to mention WB may stain or mess up any trim it comes in contact with.

Use IronX & clay to remove rail dust on paint safely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mark98xlt View Post
    I've heard from someone purchasing detailing products at my local supplier state that you can use meguiars wheel brightener to remove rail dust on paint of cars, is there any truth to this?

I've used this product over the past year for when it comes the need to use such an aggressive product if the wheels are caked with built up brake dust and know all the precautions and warnings with how aggressive this product is just curious to this statement I heard before I even think of growing the balls to attempt spraying it on paint of a vehicle lol
    ...What a whim to read, first thing on a Monday morn!!

I've often wondered what the phrase:
    "partial alienation of reason", was all about.
    That is no longer the case.

And there are those that say I suffer from
    occasional aberrations of intellect...HA!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

WB can damage paint and can certainly damage wheels. I used it starting out and have since turned from my wicked ways. Use WB long enough and you'll damage something, yourself included. With all that risk, it still won't work as well as Iron X. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

WB is THE most unpredictable product I have ever used in detailing. It can cause streaks, haze, remove center cap paint from wheels, damage caliper paint, etc, etc, etc. I never used this product on an expensive car, only on very cheap dealer cars...and even then I'm not sure it was worth the risk.

I have gone down the same path you are going down. Don't go down that path.

Acids, in general, are not safe for detailing and HF is the WORST.

There are a few applications where acid may be necessary in detailing (rarely), but HF is almost always a poor choice. There are better "safer" acids.
    Jeremy Wayne

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    ...What a whim to read, first thing on a Monday morn!!

I've often wondered what the phrase:
    "partial alienation of reason", was all about.
    That is no longer the case.

And there are those that say I suffer from
    occasional aberrations of intellect...HA!

Bob
    It wasn't my intention to use the product in this manner, I was mostly curious about the statement I heard to see if it was true, hence why I came on here to ask as you guys would hopefully debunk the truth to the statement I expected to hear from you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mark98xlt View Post
    It wasn't my intention to use the product in this manner, I was mostly curious about the statement I heard to see if it was true, hence why I came on here to ask as you guys would hopefully debunk the truth to the statement I expected to hear from you
    Is there truth in that statement? Yes, WB can absolutely remove rail dust, and I'm sure it's done by some people. With the exception of the OP in one recently closed thread, I don't think anyone here would do such a thing, too risky. It can also be used to remove waterspots.

But in both cases, it's like using a axe for open heart surgery; sure an axe can be used to open someone's chest, but stick with the scalpel (Iron-X) for less collateral damage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast