autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

370z, having issues using griots one step / griots DA

So, i've got these buff marks left behind by my polisher. I washed the car with Dawn to strip what wax was left, clay barred using griots clay and speed shine, then hit the whole car with a griots(everything is griots btw) orange pad and machine polish 2, which took a ton of the swirls out. still have super thin scratches but anyway. then i started using their One Step sealant with the orange pad, and come to find out half way through, its leaving behind a slight haze and these buff marks (see pictures below) which some i can remove with speed shine and some i cant. i searched around and figured the pad was too abrasive. this even happened with a clean pad, btw. so i went back to griots and grabbed their black polishing pads.. it helped for sure, but i can't get some of them out. is this normal? is it too much oil in the one step? i have half a bottle left and have no idea how much it was shaken during use last time the bottle was used. I tried finding megs 205 locally since one of the employees at griots said it may just be my paint, and megs 205 is what they needed to use as a finisher on some cars. any idea what is causing this? is it a cause for concern? and any recommendations to avoid them? its very frustrating because I have a magazine shoot tomorrow and im stressing out over it.

any info would be greatly appreciated...

Steve

2011 Solid Red 370z "Zleeper" - 474whp
    2013 Ingot Silver Focus ST.. the daily

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 370z, having issues using griots one step / griots DA

Never seen that before. Did you apply the sealant with a waxing pad and on the lowest speed setting?
    Brian Dubinsky
    ELITE: Luxury Detailing + Paint Protection
    Maryland - Northern VA - DC

Post Thanks / Like
    My z has soft paint so orange pad too aggressive for sealant... which you already know. White pad 205 should clean that right up.

Sent from my Alien Ship

Post Thanks / Like

I would try a less aggressive combination of pad, product and technique. Do you have a finer polish or foam pads from other manufacturers? I find it interesting that the Griot's employee recommended M205. Did you prime your pads?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...test-spot.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ing-guide.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-polisher.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-polisher.html

Post Thanks / Like

That just looks like product residue. Sometimes AIO's (All-in-one's) like you're using can be gummy by machine (especially if you use too much). Do you have a fine Griot's polish that you can use, and apply a glaze or wax or sealant by hand after?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, seriously for replying so quickly. I did read on how to prime the pad today, and it's a fresh pad.. the black, finer Polishing pad, one step above their red wax pad. I do have their paste carnauba wax to apply by hand after. I've slowed down my movements, and I'm running the machine on 3. It seems to be getting the little leftover scratches out and doing a good job, just the residue or whatever left behind. I also am using more pressure, and I've actually been getting the residue off almost completely using the speed shine after.. just hope my wax will stick. I don't have any other finer products or pads to use on the machine unfortunately..

The reason the employee said to try the M205 if the finer pad didn't work was due to it being a synthetic and that it may work better on the soft paint
    2011 Solid Red 370z "Zleeper" - 474whp
    2013 Ingot Silver Focus ST.. the daily