autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need some help on getting an air compressor set up

Im looking to get a decent compressor mainly to blow out my pads and use a small orbital 1" or 2" on small to get areas for corrections.. I don't know too much about them and don't have time to research so that's why im asking here.. lol probably don't want to spend over $400 for a compressor itself and ive been looking at the rupes 2" oribital? Any input and help would be appreciated it thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need some help on getting an air compressor set up

If you're buying an air compressor to just blow out pads, why not save the $400 and just buy some more pads...?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Try your local Harbor Freight. I have had good experiences with their compressors. You can get an 8 gallon one for around $120, which is more than enough for a little polisher. Also great for painting (with inline filters) and using mechanic's tools.

Is it the best of the best, no, of course not. For 95% of people, its a really great value and product.

Post Thanks / Like

Grab the 21 gallon compressor for $149 with coupon. I have one and it's a great compressor for the price.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Grab the 21 gallon compressor for $149 with coupon. I have one and it's a great compressor for the price.
    Yes I forgot about that one. With coupon it's a steal. Probably going to be my next upgrade as my 8gal can't keep up with my larger mechanics tools sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gokite View Post
    If you're buying an air compressor to just blow out pads, why not save the $400 and just buy some more pads...?
    I have more then $400 worth of pads, why not keep them longer from maintaining them?

Quote Originally Posted by SirFerret View Post
    Try your local Harbor Freight. I have had good experiences with their compressors. You can get an 8 gallon one for around $120, which is more than enough for a little polisher. Also great for painting (with inline filters) and using mechanic's tools.

Is it the best of the best, no, of course not. For 95% of people, its a really great value and product.
    I was thinking of getting one there but didn't know how reliable or well they would be, rhanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Is that at harbor freight as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFerret View Post
    Yes I forgot about that one. With coupon it's a steal. Probably going to be my next upgrade as my 8gal can't keep up with my larger mechanics tools sometimes.
    What mechanic tools can it not hold up with?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsrjake View Post
    I have more then $400 worth of pads, why not keep them longer from maintaining them?

I was thinking of getting one there but didn't know how reliable or well they would be, rhanks

Is that at harbor freight as well?

What mechanic tools can it not hold up with?
    Yes that 21 gallon compressor is from HF. The only issue I have with my 8 gallon is that it cannot run my larger impact gun for sustained period of time. It's fine zipping tires and most bolts off with no issue, but starts to struggle with longer use on a stubborn bolt. It's nothing wrong with the machine, it is just the limit of its 8 gallon capacity.

Post Thanks / Like

I somehow missed the 1in air tool statement...

You can get a small pancake unit and a separate tank. The separate tank can be connected with a standard compressor hose and a few fittings for $5 including a valve. The valve can also be used to disconnect a full separate tank for later use (provided it doesn't leak too much air).

I have a 26 gal and a 26 gal spare tank. It's a great setup. If I need to run three nailguns I can do it from one a/c. Or drive the spare 26 gal tank an hour to the beach and fill up a couple water rafts and three kiteboarding kites without the need for power. Your pancake would run a while to fill the tanks but once it is full you'd have all that storage.

Post Thanks / Like

Do your self a favor and get a 15 gallon dewalt. I just bought one and it is way more powerful than I expected. Check CFM rating @ 90 psi. Dewalt is probably best in class even better than the cheap 21 gallon from HF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside Detail View Post
    Do your self a favor and get a 15 gallon dewalt. I just bought one and it is way more powerful than I expected. Check CFM rating @ 90 psi. Dewalt is probably best in class even better than the cheap 21 gallon from HF.
    This one?

DEWALT 15-Gal. Portable Electric Air Compressor-D55168 at The Home Depot

It's more than double the price with only slightly higher CFM ratings.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast