autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by UglyBetty View Post
    Belt driven compressor (oil filled) will be the quietest.

I have one of these I picked up new at Sears for $450 plus tax. Much much quieter than an oil free compressor.

For continuous duty larger tools, you'll need something with much more CFM. I'm no expert, but 10-15 CFM is probably necessary for larger standard size sanders or polishers.
    Link included now:
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5221_200375221

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need some help on getting an air compressor set up

I also want to get a compressor in the near future. I want to be able to paint cars, clean pads and run pneumatic Tools.

You guys seems to know a lot more than I do about compressors, so here are a few questions (that might help the OP in the process):

Anyone know what is the most powerful compressor you can run on 110V? From what I understand the really good ones are 220V.

What is the maximum tank size you can get and still have a mobile unit? I would most likelly set that up in the truck and not move it but I need something I can have with me, not a garage unit.

What is the minimum tank size for painting? I heard that at 60 gallons you can do pretty much anything you want... but can you get away with a smaller tank?

We don't have any Harbour freights here in Canada unfortunatelly. So what would be a good brand to buy for value? Or would it be Worth my time to cross the border and go buy everything I need at HF in the US?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UglyBetty View Post
    Belt driven compressor (oil filled) will be the quietest.

I have one of these I picked up new at Sears for $450 plus tax. Much much quieter than an oil free compressor.

For continuous duty larger tools, you'll need something with much more CFM. I'm no expert, but 10-15 CFM is probably necessary for larger standard size sanders or polishers.
    I agree big time. Mine's belt driven and oil filled. I can easily carry on a conversation in the room while it's running, while the HF compressor is so loud you literally need hearing protection to be in the room with it.
    Jeremy Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Perhaps you had lemon. I've put plenty of hard use on mine and a friend with the same exact compressor (inspired me to buy my own) has run his hard for a good 4 years now, no issues. I also did a good amount of research before purchasing my own and bad reviews of those compressor were few and far between.

It is loud, I'll give you that. Thankfully, that can be helped with the installation of some rubber grommets between the motor and the tank. I have not personally done this, but it seems to be a quick and simple mod done by others to cut down on noise.
    +1 for HF.. I've had my little sausage shape one and its perfect for light mechanical, detailing, spray guns, nail guns and I paid $100

It's loud but i deal with it

Post Thanks / Like

Very rarely do I get annoyed on this forum, but this is one of those times. Just some flat out crappy advice being given to the OP. This guy just signed the lease on a shop and is a full time detailer. Like I said, if he was a weekend warrior, I'd say go for the HF. I give up. I'm out.
    Jeremy Wayne

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by statusdetailing View Post
    Very rarely do I get annoyed on this forum, but this is one of those times. Just some flat out crappy advice being given to the OP. This guy just signed the lease on a shop and is a full time detailer. Like I said, if he was a weekend warrior, I'd say go for the HF. I give up. I'm out.
    Assuming it's this polisher:
    http://www.buffdaddy.com/product/TA50

It's rated at 11.7 CFM with an operating pressure of 88 psi. I don't thing you will find any small 110v air compressor capable of running this polisher for more than 10-30 seconds at a time, of course, an additional or larger tank may extend that time, but if the compressor can't keep up, it cannot be used in continuous duty cycle. Simple math.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Re: Need some help on getting an air compressor set up

Quote Originally Posted by statusdetailing View Post
    Bad advice? If you read the OP's post his requirements are listed. He does not mention running his shop with it. If you believe Ciasons is low-end brand, then you do not know much about air compressors. And if you really want quiet, and to run a shop properly with no qualms, then go for a rotary air compressor if you have the money and business to justify its cost.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123