autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Too Slow?!

Post Thanks / Like

Too Slow?!

Just finished washing & claying my SUV, total time spent = 6 HOURS!!
    I know I'm slow but is that too slow? And how can I improve and speed up the process?
    In details:
    It's my new daily driver 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V8, Granite Crystal Metallic (5 months old with 9k miles)..
    2 weeks since last wash so it was dirty..
    Skipped the dedicated wheels & tires process coz I'm taking it to dealer for road force balancing in a couple of days..
    Working outside in shaded parking, temperature was 94F when I started then cooled down to 85F when I finished.. Wind speed around 12 mph..

- started off with foaming, CG honeydew in gilmour foam gun and let it sit for 5 minutes and prepared my 2 buckets with optimum car wash and 3 micro chenille mitts in the wash bucket.
    - rinse.
    - divided the Jeep into 6 sections and sprayed OPC (1:3) on each section then agitated with small horse hair brush where needed then followed with wash mitt(s) then rinsed that section and moved to the next one (x6 sections).
    - sprayed Sonax Fallout Cleaner (similar to ironx) on paint only, all glass have been clayed & coated with Opti-Glass Coating 1 1/2 months ago.
    - thoroughly rinsed after 3 minutes, it was drying fast.
    - clayed using Opti-Eraser fine grade with ONR @ clay lube dilution + the remaining wash soap, again excluding all glass.
    - final rinse.
    - cleaned my buckets, grit guard, Opti-Eraser & mitts (hosed down).
    - electric blower to get all the water out of the nooks & crannies.
    - Opti-Glass Clean & Protect with glass MF WW towel on all glass.
    - final drying/wipe with purple 600gsm MF & Zaino Z6 QD.
    That's all, nothing on the interior and I didn't even bother to wipe dry the wheels & tires with towels!

No swirls so far and I'm planning to polish with Optimum Finish by hand and Opti-Coat it in the morning, I have some WG TSR and EZ Grip Hydro-Tech applicators to tackle 2 or 3 random scratches but I won't bother if they decided to stay there.. Hope I can finish in 4 or 5 hours!
    Appreciate any feedback
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Too Slow?!

To me when I am doing my cars I don't care how long it takes to get the job done. The only thing I care about is the end results and whether or not I have achieved the results I am striving for. Probably not the answer your looking for but it's just my $.02.

Post Thanks / Like

If your doing it "on the clock", 6 hours is kind of a long time for a wash and clay. Try doing your wash, rinse, and clay one panel at time using a good sudsy wash solution, rinse, next panel, rinse, etc. I've adopted this method using DG901 and clay mitt since it's much faster and cheaper than the clay lube process. I'm able to wash and clay my ram 2500 crew cab in under 2 hours.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are doing auto detailing as a profession you will want great results in less time without harm to the vehicle but if you are doing this just for fun it really don't matter how long it takes I remember one time it took me over 11 hours just to do a exterior detail on my personal car

Post Thanks / Like

Is this your first crack at it? If so, I wouldn't be too worried about it. You are probably just being extra careful. Once you do it a few times, it will take less time. Better to take your time as you are starting out until you get comfortable with the process and yourself.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan