autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pick one please: OC or Blackfire

Guys,
    This forum had been very helpful someone like me who is new to detailing my own car and wanting to do it the right way. Thanks for all the advice. I have been able to figure out every part of my car maintenance system except paint coating or sealant.

I am assuming this can be personal preference but would like as many expert opinions on this as possible since it seems to be one of the most important decisions.

I have a new SUV that I drive 25,000 miles a year and is kept in a parking garage. I am going to properly 2 bucket wash the vehicle and take care of it but don't enjoy applying coatings and sealants.

Which would you use knowing the above details:

1. Opti-Coat Pro applied and I do spray wax or another maintenance spray to keep up coating

2. Do BFWD or BFCS?

I just can't read anything that pushes me one way or the other. I have tried to find a poll asking this but couldn't find it. Thank you very much guys for all the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pick one please: OC or Blackfire

If you don't like applying coatings and sealants, you'd go with Opti-Coat. It will require less maintenance than any traditional wax/sealant, because it's a "permanent" coating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Opti coat gets my vote

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Pick one please: OC or Blackfire

From your inclinations of not enjoying putting on sealants\coatings, I would say have the OC PRO installed on the paint. As far as the wheels, it would not cost that much more to have them coated as well. They will be much easier to clean and maintain with a coating. Also, do not forget to put a coating on your windshield. It helps out greatly with any rain, bugs, etc. You can even just put rain-x on it every two weeks after your wash routine and be fine, or have the coating installed and be good between 6 months to a year, depending on which product used of course.

One last thing, you can ask many questions from us here and we will be more than happy to answer, however, don't forget that you should be able to ask the detailer whom you are wanting to install the coating! If he is like me and just about anyone here, he should not mind answering any concerns you may have with any part of the installation process and how to properly take care of your vehicle afterwards.
    Hope this helps!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I shouldn't have emphasized not enjoying putting on coatings because I will do whatever is best for the vehicle. If that factor is taken out do you still prefer OC to BFWD or another similar sealant?

Post Thanks / Like

It's up to you. If you want to reapply sealants/waxes every couple of months to experiment with what works best for you, then go with BFWD/BFCS or whatever else you want to try. If you want less to maintain, then go OC.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am willing to put in the time with sealants if it will protect car better and make it look better. Has anyone used both and prefer one over the other?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Pick one please: OC or Blackfire

I would still say OC. It will help you (or anyone), more easily maintain a vehicle....

edit: didn't see your last post;
    I have used both and am currently using PBL coating on one vehicle and both Opti-Seal and BFWD on another for testing. I love the feeling of the sealants but the coating I know will protect for much longer on the vehicle and not think about it. It's my DD during the week.
    Although, with this, I will be changing the PBL coating on the DD as we recently went through a bad hail storm and both vehicles got hammered! Not happy with the dents BUT, I can say (I hope and believe) that the coating helped alleviate any paint chipping. Not that it really matters as it's so bad the hood and top "may" need to be replaced and painted. I'll switch to another coating, probably 22PLE since I have some avail to use.
    Last edited by cire; 04-10-2014 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Forgot to add in another comment.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't used the Opticoat, but BFCS is cheap and easy to apply. Do it once every couple months and it will keep your baby protected very well and shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes to do that SUV.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Other's opinions? Would like to get as many peoples thoughts/wisdom as possible. Thanks again for all the info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast