autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Turtle Wax Tire Coat Warning

This is not a bash against the product. This is just my experience, and the warning is related to the removal of this tire coating. Now I know AG does not sell this product so this is merely for informational purposes and not an endorsement by any means.
    Last week I had a Cadillac CTS-V brought to me for a one step correction and opti coat. The owner purchased the vehicle the week prior and asked me if I would get the Armor All (so he thought) off the tires as well. I said sure no problem. Here is a picture of the tire before the coating was removed. This is not directly of the the tire but rather a 50/50 shot I attempted of the paint however you can still see the tire coating in the picture...very glossy. Still this glossy after over a month on the tire.

At this point I had cleaned each tire 3 times. Twice with OPC 3:1 and Amazing Roll Off undiluted with the tuff shine stiff bristle brush, as well as a wipe down with Griots Rubber Prep. Nothing would touch the coating or kill the beading. I was stumped so I carried on and began the rest of the work on the car as time was of the essence. At this point I had rather have the car polished and coated than to worry about the tires and miss my deadline. I began to investigate the coating further when I finished the car. It was very rubbery, like nothing I had seen. I talked to the owner and he called the previous owner so we could identity the product. Once I knew what I was dealing with I called turtle wax to ask with help on removal. They told me and I quote " use a wire grill brush or let it wear off over time."
    Honestly this blew me away, do they really think someone would take a wire grill brush anywhere near a 3k set of rims? As luck had it the owner wasn't able to pick the vehicle up that day and it gave me extra time to try and strip the coating. Here is a pic of how this product flakes off.

When removed it comes off in tiny brown flakes. Of course they go everywhere and it makes a terrible mess. Everything needs to be re washed. I was able to get about 90% of this coating off. It took 2.5 hours. To remove I used Zep Heavy Duty degreaser and the stiffest tire brush I could find. Here is a final pic where I used Sonax Tire Gel once the project was complete.

So in retrospect I say all that to make a few points:

1.In theory the idea of a rubber coating like this is pretty cool. However once you go with it IMO your stuck using this product for re application bc removing it is terrible.
    2. Nothing can really be layered on it or will sling. Since it won't penetrate as well as on bare rubber.
    3. If you encounter this yourself a charge accordingly because the removal is very labor intensive.
    4. Also if you get the slightest but of over spray on a rim it won't come off without very abrasive methods. This car had over spray on 2 of the rims and it looks like a clear paint drip.
    Hope this was an informational post. Thanks for reading.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Turtle Wax Tire Coat Warning

Thanks for sharing

Post Thanks / Like

What a disaster!

Try lacquer thinner if you have the misfortune of running across that stuff again

Post Thanks / Like

That is crazy! At least you were able to get it off.

Dat CTS-V
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    What a disaster!

Try lacquer thinner if you have the misfortune of running across that stuff again
    Will do ! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisCoupe View Post
    That is crazy! At least you were able to get it off.

Dat CTS-V
    I know I wanted to keep!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

At least ya know it holds up well ...LOL glad ya got it off, car looks good nice work..

Post Thanks / Like

In the one picture it almost looks like the tire is peeling apart? Are you sure that what is peeling in the photo there is the cleaner and not the tire?
    2013 Volvo S60 T5 Black Stone

Post Thanks / Like

Good lord! What a total PITA!! Good for you for persisting, doing an excellent job at provide client delight, and spreading a word of warning on this product.

Post Thanks / Like

This looks to be quite a formidable tire dressing/coating:
    You put it through the wringer...
    and it was still a bear to remove!!

That's one Tough Shine!
    (Has Tuf Shine met its match?)

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    Just thinking out loud here and yes, I understand the customer wanted the tire coating removed for whatever reason, but am I the only person here who sees that this product does what it actually says? Just look at the amount of work that had to go into removing it and even after all that you can still see it on there, amazing! Makes you wonder how long it would last if just driving in the rain/snow and doing regular washes?

I do understand being concerned about it being on your rims though, that would suck but IMO the kit should come with some type of wheel cover so you can protect the wheels, sure it would cost more due to additional production costs but they'd not only cover their butts but it would also show resposibility on their part.

Not really sure what's going on over there @ Turtle Wax, they make a great rinseless wash with not so good directions (until you read it through completely) then they make a great tire product with once again, not the best directions and/or warnings.

Moral of the story here, becareful what you wish for, you might just get it!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast