autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Critique my drying technique

Hey guys. As the title says, I would like you guys to critique my drying technique and make recommendations to make it better and faster.

Method: After rinsing the car:

1. I will sheet dry it.
    2. Then use an electric leaf blower that can blow to 230mph to dry.
    3. Then if there are any areas with water remaining, wipe them with Cobra WW MF towel

Problems:

1. It takes a while to dry the car. So long, that water spots are inevitable, even when blowing the car dry in the garage.
    2. When blow drying the car, it turns one bead into a million little beads. The little beads do dry, but they leave a million little water spots when they do.

I have blown the car dry 3 or 4 times, and had water spot issues every time. How can I address this? Maybe go around all the crevices with the electric leaf blower and then dry with a few WW MF towels? As it is now, I feel I can dry the car faster and more effectively (i.e. no water spots) with a WW MF towel than blow drying.

Note: All the times I have tried my current system, the car's LSP has been worn off. Since, I applied a LSP (Four Star Ultimate Paint Protect, Signature Series II), I have not tried to blow dry the car, so maybe it will be better now.

Thanks for looking everyone!
    2012 Toyota Camry SE | 2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Critique my drying technique

Having a nice coat of wax will make blow drying that much faster as the water will literally fly off.
    2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like your LSP is ehhh...I mean if you're using a leaf blower in the garage and still getting waters spots - no bueno imo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by c8n View Post
    Having a nice coat of wax will make blow drying that much faster as the water will literally fly off.
    Ok that is great news. Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 281 View Post
    Sounds like your LSP is ehhh...I mean if you're using a leaf blower in the garage and still getting waters spots - no bueno imo
    Ah, I left out a part - i meant to say since I applied LSP I haven't tried to blow dry to see. All the times I blew dry the car the LSP had worn off over the winter. But sounds like you are saying with a LSP the water should be rolling off the car quickly and with ease, which is reassuring! Thank you 281!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by c8n View Post
    I agree, with a good coat of wax like Collinite 845 you should be able to dry that car in 2 or 3 minutes.

Sent from my HTC One using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GreatAvalon View Post
    Ok that is great news.

Ah, I left out a part - i meant to say since I applied LSP I haven't tried to blow dry to see. All the times I blew dry the car the LSP had worn off over the winter. But sounds like you are saying with a LSP the water should be rolling off the car quickly and with ease, which is reassuring!
    Exactly!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by umana2482 View Post
    I agree, with a good coat of wax like Collinite 845 you should be able to dry that car in 2 or 3 minutes.
    2-3 minutes?! Now I can't wait to wash it to give it a shot! That would be great - as it was with no LSP, it was taking about 20 minutes! Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by 281 View Post
    Exactly!
    Ok great! I was thinking "I know people say to blow dry for a reason. They can't all be dealing with this as well. What am I doing wrong?!" Haha! Thanks again man, you always offer great advice

(BTW - Like you suggested, I ordered the Tuf Shine tire brush - you were 100% right, its so much better! Got to the white foam much faster with it! )

Post Thanks / Like

For me, I blow dry as much as I can in the cracks/crevices. I make two passes on the entire car with the waffle weave.

The car is still "damp" at this point, in which I like to spray it down with a RW/QD and use many plush or WW microfiber towels. Treating it like a rinseless wash.

Drying is a process for me as well. Not a quickie job by any means.

If the car is not extremely filthy, it's rinseless/waterless washes for me any day of the week. Panel per panel, leaves no waterspots, and easier to dry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also a spot less filters help!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You have the drying pretty much covered. I do blow dry my car and wipe off excess water with a quality WW Towel like you do. I still have my electric leaf blower but keep it in storage.

I switched to the Metro Blaster Side kick to blow dry my car. It blows pretty good and is way better to move around and way more accurate to get at the cracks and crevices (side mirrors especially). The Electric blower is big and bulky (and in my case LOUD). My guess is that will help cut down on your drying time.

As for the water spots, I would try a nice coat of car wax. This morning I found some dried Bird doo doo. I did not see it the day before.

I thought for sure I was going to get my paint etched or spotted. But sprayed the spot off with DS and MF towel and no spot or etching. I can attribute that to the coat of wax (Dodo Juice Supernatural Wax) on my car. I have 3 coats of wax on my ride. Now I know it was a good thing as there was no damage to my paint at all.

My long point is that you should try a wax as that will probably cut down on the water spots.

Otherwise, your drying technique is very similar to the way I do it.

GET the Sidekick!! You will not be disappointed! That will help.

Have an awesome day!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast