autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Critique my drying technique

Check it out:

[ame=www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0hzJImmvNU]How to use AMMO Hydrate - YouTube[/video]

I like to use UWW+ as a drying aid. On my own car. Customer's cars are always a case by case basis.

My car is opti coated however, I applied Optimum spray wax after drying it, and I did notice a significant amount of extra gloss to my eyes after using it.

Starts at 1:13

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=p43SM7GHugU[/video]

Post Thanks / Like

I think your method is top notch. As much as it is dreaded, sometimes there is a minimum time that it takes to dry that is really tough to get under. That being said, I'm sure as you build up layers of protection on the paint the water will fly off much easier, as many have said.

In fact, I have a story which illustrates this very point. Whenever I wash my car, which is protected by EXO, let's say it takes 10 minutes (maybe 15 or longer but for the sake of argument, 10). I helped my dad wash his car which is roughly the same size, and it took over double as long, despite him helping. The same method was used (leaf blower then waffle weave, just as you're doing) but the difference is the LSP. His is protected by one that isn't as hydrophobic as EXO, so it took much longer because the water didn't want to get off the paint.

I was so mad it took so long that after the wash, I threw a fresh coat of wax on the car just to top the coating (Opti-Coat), that way the next wash (hopefully) the drying time won't take as long.

The biggest thing is technique. Make sure that you don't sacrifice technique for time, since that's one of the easiest ways to instill marring on the paint. You've got good technique and I think the overall time will come down as you get the wax (or other layers of product) down on the car. Happy detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

GreatAvalon,

Have you applied the Signature II you purchased yet? Probably all you need to get those water beads ascampering off the surface of your cars. Fresh coat of wax will make a major difference. It does for me.

Enjoy
    elliot
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post
    Check it out:

I like to use UWW+ as a drying aid. On my own car. Customer's cars are always a case by case basis.

My car is opti coated however, I applied Optimum spray wax after drying it, and I did notice a significant amount of extra gloss to my eyes after using it.

Starts at 1:13
    wow, definitely a lot of great info there! Thanks alot Art!
    Quote Originally Posted by Radarryan View Post
    I think your method is top notch. As much as it is dreaded, sometimes there is a minimum time that it takes to dry that is really tough to get under. That being said, I'm sure as you build up layers of protection on the paint the water will fly off much easier, as many have said.

In fact, I have a story which illustrates this very point. Whenever I wash my car, which is protected by EXO, let's say it takes 10 minutes (maybe 15 or longer but for the sake of argument, 10). I helped my dad wash his car which is roughly the same size, and it took over double as long, despite him helping. The same method was used (leaf blower then waffle weave, just as you're doing) but the difference is the LSP. His is protected by one that isn't as hydrophobic as EXO, so it took much longer because the water didn't want to get off the paint.

I was so mad it took so long that after the wash, I threw a fresh coat of wax on the car just to top the coating (Opti-Coat), that way the next wash (hopefully) the drying time won't take as long.

The biggest thing is technique. Make sure that you don't sacrifice technique for time, since that's one of the easiest ways to instill marring on the paint. You've got good technique and I think the overall time will come down as you get the wax (or other layers of product) down on the car. Happy detailing!
    Thanks for the words of wisdom Ryan! Definitely glad to hear its just related to my LSP being worn off instead of anything significantly wrong with my technique! BTW EXO's hydrophobic properties sound great.
    Quote Originally Posted by michelliot View Post
    GreatAvalon,

Have you applied the Signature II you purchased yet? Probably all you need to get those water beads ascampering off the surface of your cars. Fresh coat of wax will make a major difference. It does for me.

Enjoy
    elliot
    Elliot! I'm glad to see a familiar face on here man! I've been dying to use the SSII. I didn't know you were on here so I was going to PM you on Toyota nation as soon as I was able to really use the SSII. As of now, I've only applied it to my front bumper and only a little bit on my hood when I was having trouble with my sealant leaving white marks in rock chips. For the extremely limited experience I had with it on there, I am excited to use it over the entire car. I was going to say hopefully this weekend, but its going to rain. We can't get a break down here. Next week is looking like all 60's, so maybe I'll be able to do it one evening. Glad to know that the SSII has the properties to fix the issues I ran into! So within a week or two be looking for a PM here or on TN! Take care, Elliot!
    2012 Toyota Camry SE | 2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited

Post Thanks / Like

Matt, if you would like some Blackfire Midnight Sun to compare it to let me know. I don't use waxes anymore so I'd be happy to give you the pot I have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSou View Post
    Matt, if you would like some Blackfire Midnight Sun to compare it to let me know. I don't use waxes anymore so I'd be happy to give you the pot I have.
    Hey Jake, thanks for the offer man! I'd love to take you up on that!!!
    2012 Toyota Camry SE | 2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123