autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Please help translate my old detailing product list to new/better stuff!

About 10 years ago I did tons of research and reading on here and ended up with the following detailing supplies. I am happy with the way they have worked on my personal cars but cant help but think things have changed/improved in 10 years. Can you help translate my old stuff into a newer/better product list?

Machine- Porter Cable Random Orbit buffer with the EDGE 2000 pads and quick connect adapter. (the pads were two sided and could be flipped over)

I would follow the below order with below products.

1. Wash with Mequires 00 wash
    2. Dry with Costco microfibers
    3. Claybar with mequires, mothers, or NXT clay and Mothers Quick Detail spray
    4. Green Pad with Mequires #83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish for bad scratches/swirls
    5. Orange Pad with Mequires #80 Mequires #21 Synthetic Sealant or Four Stars Synthetic Sealant

Windows- Stoner Spray from can
    Plastic/dash/doors- Aerospace 303

What is the modern equivalent of this stuff? What can I update to make detailing my cars even better/easier? Is my M21 trash after 10 years? It smells semi-rancid..

Thanks guys!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please help translate my old detailing product list to new/better stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by onlyincali View Post
    About 10 years ago I did tons of research and reading on here and ended up with the following detailing supplies. I am happy with the way they have worked on my personal cars but cant help but think things have changed/improved in 10 years. Can you help translate my old stuff into a newer/better product list?

Machine- Porter Cable Random Orbit buffer with the EDGE 2000 pads and quick connect adapter. (the pads were two sided and could be flipped over)

I would follow the below order with below products.

1. Wash with Mequires 00 wash
    2. Dry with Costco microfibers
    3. Claybar with mequires, mothers, or NXT clay and Mothers Quick Detail spray
    4. Green Pad with Mequires #83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish for bad scratches/swirls
    5. Orange Pad with Mequires #80 Mequires #21 Synthetic Sealant or Four Stars Synthetic Sealant

Windows- Stoner Spray from can
    Plastic/dash/doors- Aerospace 303

What is the modern equivalent of this stuff? What can I update to make detailing my cars even better/easier? Is my M21 trash after 10 years? It smells semi-rancid..

Thanks guys!!!!
    Welcome to autogeek

1 duragloss 901/meguiars gold class
    2 cobra waffle weave guzzler
    3 nanoskin clay bar eraser or mitt
    4 Meguiars m205 for light swirls and m105 for heavy swirls/scratches
    5 klasse high gloss sealant glaze

as for glass cleaner I would go for Meguiars D120 your plastic protectant is good though, and yes alot has changed in ten even in six months a lot has changed though this is a list to consider along with the other answers you will receive good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I like James recommendations. I recommend Duragloss #111 for a sealant and Surf City's Clearly Better for glass.

Post Thanks / Like

all good stuff from above. the only one im not a fan of is the m105. i find it very difficult to work with. it dries up quick and is hard to get off. some here dont have a problem and some do. i herd alot of good things about menz.fg400. i just got it but havent had the chance to use it. good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jamesboyy View Post
    Welcome to autogeek

1 duragloss 901/meguiars gold class
    2 cobra waffle weave guzzler
    3 nanoskin clay bar eraser or mitt
    4 Meguiars m205 for light swirls and m105 for heavy swirls/scratches
    5 klasse high gloss sealant glaze

as for glass cleaner I would go for Meguiars D120 your plastic protectant is good though, and yes alot has changed in ten even in six months a lot has changed though this is a list to consider along with the other answers you will receive good luck
    There are a lot of great car care products on the market and James is spot on with his recommendations....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!
    1. So would it be ok to substitute the Menz.fg400 for the Meguires #105 and then still finish with the Meguires #205? Or should I stick with both Meguires products?

2. Is just one Nanoskin pad ok? Fine texture? Or get both medium and fine?

3. What would you guys suggest for modern pads/polisher? Is my PC random orbit obsolete now days? Am I wasting time using this thing? Are edge2000 pads still some of the best(mine finally separated from the disk and became garbage)? If not, can you please suggest a substitution (and which pad to use with which product?).

Thank you guys again for your time and for sharing your hard earned knowledge! It is GREATLY appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by onlyincali View Post
    Thanks guys!
    1. So would it be ok to substitute the Menz.fg400 for the Meguires #105 and then still finish with the Meguires #205? Or should I stick with both Meguires products?

2. Is just one Nanoskin pad ok? Fine texture? Or get both medium and fine?

3. What would you guys suggest for modern pads/polisher? Is my PC random orbit obsolete now days? Am I wasting time using this thing? Are edge2000 pads still some of the best(mine finally separated from the disk and became garbage)? If not, can you please suggest a substitution (and which pad to use with which product?).

Thank you guys again for your time and for sharing your hard earned knowledge! It is GREATLY appreciated!
    Lake Country pads are very good. I would suggest checking them out. AG sells them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AG Online

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the pad tip. I'll likely be ordering the LC pads this week! Anyone else have an answer to the question two posts up?

Thanks guys!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Last bump, then I'll let it die. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

There are better machines than the PC, but it's still fine for personal use. Many people are still using them.

If you want more correcting power and you have the money, you could step up to a Rupes 15 or 21.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast