autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please help translate my old detailing product list to new/better stuff!

Thank you guys very much for the replies! I'm listening, and listening carefully.

I have an air compressor that I can use but it sounds like the MF pads may be easier to screw up than the old school foam. Or am I being overly worrisome? Does the faster cut make up for the hassle of frequent cleaning/blowing out? Does blowing the MF pads out spray material all over the place too?

I don't like the idea of the new megs product having wax built in....Looks like I can finish with any sealant if I use the D302 though. Correct? I prefer using a synthetic sealant so I don't have to re-wax as frequently. Or am I stuck in the old ages on this too!?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Oops. In addition to the above....

How many of each pad do you use on a single vehicle? I was using 2 pads for each step, but I'm reading some guys use up to 6-8 pads for EACH STEP. Is this the norm?

And how about black trim? What can I replace my back to black with?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onlyincali View Post
    I have an air compressor that I can use but it sounds like the MF pads may be easier to screw up than the old school foam. Or am I being overly worrisome? Does the faster cut make up for the hassle of frequent cleaning/blowing out? Does blowing the MF pads out spray material all over the place too?
    I don't know if "faster cut" is really the reason to use the MF pads (for you). The older, less powerful PC's are a good combo with the MF system (IMO). Yes, some dust comes out of the pads when you blow them...not really any different than if you brushed a foam pad.

I don't like the idea of the new megs product having wax built in....Looks like I can finish with any sealant if I use the D302 though. Correct? I prefer using a synthetic sealant so I don't have to re-wax as frequently. Or am I stuck in the old ages on this too!?
    The D301 is a really nice product--the "wax" doesn't last long. I would just top it with whatever you're going to use a week or two after. A lot of members are going to balk at that and tell you that you have to strip it. I can't vouch for the D302 as I haven't used it, and I don't think I've seen any posts about anyone who has.

How many of each pad do you use on a single vehicle? I was using 2 pads for each step, but I'm reading some guys use up to 6-8 pads for EACH STEP. Is this the norm?
    That's 6-8 pads if you're not going to clean on the fly, which you have to do with the MF pads. 6-8 is a lot. For foam you should be able to get by with 4 without any problem (maybe less), and you can get by with 2 MF, but more is always better, I would have 4 MF just in case. People just have different practices and tolerances for gunky pads. It also depends how bad the car is and how much polishing you are doing to it.

And how about black trim? What can I replace my back to black with?
    Is the trim faded? If it's new and you're going with WOWA sealants, you can just use that on them. If they are a little faded, then products like Ultima Tire and Trim Guard (UTTG) or Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant (WETS) are great, they are also like the WOWA LSP's or interior products, they will do some darkening and last a long time.

IF the trim is badly faded, you can use a trim restorer, the favorite seems to be CarPro DLux, this is a permanent or semi-permanent fix. Also, some members have used the new Mother's Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner, which they report cleans faded trim back to new. The idea is after that you would dress it to protect it, but some users said it looked so good after cleaning that they just left it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you SO MUCH to take the time to write such a complete response. Thanks a bunch! Ordering fun stuff now!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234