autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best beading product?

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I’m not a Scott HD fan and i’m basing this on mine and most everyone here’s testing. From video Cancoat doesn’t look to perform any worse than The Megs. Not knocking the megs.... never said Cancoat was better. Said i’d be i’d impressed with Meg’s if it could keep up as alot of trusted people here vouch for CanCoat and it is proven.

I did say you get alot less applications from Megs and Scott’s video doesn’t change that statement

Easily performed well for 14+ months. Stopped watching Scott when he went all cry baby during his pan wars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My point was the CanCoat section WAS performing worse. More water flattening out over the surface. Didn’t see that with some of the others included megs.

I’ve applied both CanCoat and HPC and HPC is way easier to apply. I can do a car in about half the time. It’s also way slicker.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EddieVDetailing View Post
    there’s not much more you could ask for when it comes to a large controlled test that exposes the products to the same variables. Same paint, same heat, same UV. It stands to reason that if something performs better relative to the other in this test, then it would very likely outperform it in the real world.
    The problems arise with the fact thats it's a very singular data point that doesn't consider real world attacks on the surface outside of heat, rain and UV in that particular location. There's far more assaulting the finish in real world usage; oil, grease, the much ballyhooed 'road film' and if you live in a northern climate all of the slop they throw down in Winter.

Winter deicing chems in Ohio: https://budgetplan1.files.wordpress....treatments.pdf

Given the varying compositions of many products, I'm not quite convinced that something that does well with heat and rain will do equally well when the real world assaults are added to the mix. Some might, some might not...static panel testing is just one (relatively limited IMO) data point, just a small slice of the pie.

It's interesting for sure and the effort is certainly admirable but not quite the Final Word on longevity testing that many seem to trumpet.

All my opinion though, and I'm more often wrong than right so YMMV.

Edit: Full disclosure...I *love* CanCoat, one of the handiest products I've ever run across Best beading product?

3. Likes The Guz, CleanIT, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Always figrd if I needed a product to protect a car sitting on cinder blocks in Texas, I'd look further into his tests. Silly to think a car sloggin' around the Winter freeways in Cleveland would show the same results.

He did do a nice vid on the level of defects that PPF covers up so I'll give him that. The 'Geraldo Rivera' exposure vids were extraordinarily dumb though...bothy whiny and disingenuous. Not much of a fan of any YouTube 'testers' though, including Apex who many consider infallible. :shrug:
    Exactly. You and I both know the true results from testing things in the real world rather than letting them sit on the hood outside. The results are different.

I unsubscribed to just about all of them these days.

Quote Originally Posted by NJNinja View Post
    Good point. Apex just throws high alkaline APC's at these products so it's definitely not indicative of real world performance. I've gotten different results than Apex has with some products. I don't agree with a lot of his outcomes and where he ranks some of these products. With that said though I do like that he appears to be unbiased in terms of brands and is not just saying every brand is good etc.
    I don't think Apex is as unbiased as we think. At least that is me from just watching him from time to time. If you go in his facebook group you will see all of his followers brain washed that the Apex coating is the only thing and everything else doesn't hold up. He is white labeling the coating from ArtDeShine which he does push quite a bit. Well he has to since they are doing a service for him. Brian created a cult which is good for him. Lets not get into the whole turtle wax thing.

My point was the CanCoat section WAS performing worse. More water flattening out over the surface. Didn’t see that with some of the others included megs.

I’ve applied both CanCoat and HPC and HPC is way easier to apply. I can do a car in about half the time. It’s also way slicker.
    As I mentioned Gyeon claims CanCoat to be up to 6 months. So it is performing exactly how it is supposed to. In reality that it exceeds that 6 months is even more impressive. It is also an older product where the Meguiar's products is leveraging off the hard work from coating manufactures so it better perform well. It is a shame that they could not figure out their actual coating.

The problems arise with the fact thats it's a very singular data point that doesn't consider real world attacks on the surface outside of heat, rain and UV in that particular location. There's far more assaulting the finish in real world usage; oil, grease, the much ballyhooed 'road film' and if you live in a northern climate all of the slop they throw down in Winter.

Winter deicing chems in Ohio: https://budgetplan1.files.wordpress....treatments.pdf

Given the varying compositions of many products, I'm not quite convinced that something that does well with heat and rain will do equally well when the real world assaults are added to the mix. Some might, some might not...static panel testing is just one (relatively limited IMO) data point, just a small slice of the pie.

It's interesting for sure and the effort is certainly admirable but not quite the Final Word on longevity testing that many seem to trumpet.

Edit: Full disclosure...I *love* CanCoat, one of the handiest products I've ever run across Best beading product?
    Exactly and well said. I love CanCoat as well. One of the best products on the market.

5. Likes BudgetPlan1, CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

so I still don’t get how you don’t think Scott’s tests are relevant or representative. You’re saying there are tougher conditions than just a resting hood in the sun. Granted, Scott’s test should be the MINIMUM requirement for a product to last. If Ammo Reflex Pro or Chemical Guys Hydroslick can’t make it past 6 months from just sitting in the sun, then for sure it won’t last on an actual driven car. Scott’s tests for me screen out the bad products. There are no true “5 year coatings” if they can’t even last a year on a panel sitting outside.

I really don’t get why people are so dismissive of the testing.

7. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

there’s not much more you could ask for when it comes to a large controlled test that exposes the products to the same variables. Same paint, same heat, same UV. It stands to reason that if something performs better relative to the other in this test, then it would very likely outperform it in the real world. It sure is a “data point” that is better than any other data point that exists. Anecdotal evidence does not count.

in general I’ve noticed people become dismissive of the test when the outcome doesn’t meet their expectations or perceptions. Unfortunate but this is a reality. Many installers overpromising their customers when the product just isn’t that good.
    That test doesn’t take in to account all the rain and fallout in it that I face in WA. Also where products sit on a vertical panel can affect durability.

Lastly they way he applies could be “not proper”

His “delta points” don’t work for my conditions.

And not just bashing him. Most us here probably started at one point watching some type of Internet personality.

We’ve just evolved to the point we realized these test don’t work for our real world conditions.

9. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Best beading product?

They both wipe on with a microfiber applicator and wipe right off.... same process so I don’t get why it would take twice as long.

Post Thanks / Like

Best beading product?

so I still don’t get how you don’t think Scott’s tests are relevant or representative. You’re saying there are tougher conditions than just a resting hood in the sun. Granted, Scott’s test should be the MINIMUM requirement for a product to last. If Ammo Reflex Pro or Chemical Guys Hydroslick can’t make it past 6 months from just sitting in the sun, then for sure it won’t last on an actual driven car. Scott’s tests for me screen out the bad products. There are no true “5 year coatings” if they can’t even last a year on a panel sitting outside.

I really don’t get why people are so dismissive of the testing.
    Because MHPC might be great against UV rays and soap but not against the traffic film i face in my environment.

It might even wash off with one APC wash but last over a year in my environment.

And maybe the reason for most here are dismissive is we’ve probably had product we’ve use that tested well with an internet influencer but failed for us? Best beading product?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkr

Post Thanks / Like

They both wipe on with a microfiber applicator and wipe right off.... same process so I don’t get why it would take twice as long.

CanCoat wipes off grabby and can get high spots. Still have yet to get a high spot with HPC.

as far as APC resistance, HPC was jimbos last torture test. Unfazed by apc.

all I can say is it is literally irrelevant if a coating can stand up to road film etc if it can’t be in the sun for a couple of months. What’s the point? UV is one element all products are exposed to and if it fails at sitting in the sun, then it doesn’t matter if it holds up to road film because the UV will kill it before it even matters..

Post Thanks / Like

CanCoat wipes off grabby and can get high spots. Still have yet to get a high spot with HPC.

all I can say is it is literally irrelevant if a coating can stand up to road film etc if it can’t be in the sun for a couple of months. What’s the point? UV is one element all products are exposed to and if it fails at sitting in the sun, then it doesn’t matter if it holds up to road film because the UV will kill it before it even matters..
    I just don’t think UV is a good indicator for northern climates.... never had issues with high spots or it being grabby (CanCoat) but again or environments may very (temp, humidity)

14. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is one guy I would not consider or reference for any detailing advice.

I just don’t think UV is a good indicator for northern climates.... never had issues with high spots or it being grabby (CanCoat) but again or environments may very (temp, humidity)

You're right. Most of these products don't do anything for UV. Dimitry's Garage actually has a decent way to measure UV and there is nothing impressive on any product he's tested. He is the only one that I know of that is doing anything like this.

Other than whack APC torture tests and gloss meters.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast