autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Booking my first subie

I was contacted by a co-workers friend looking to get her 2012 WRX STi done this spring. She bought it has her winter "beater" until she found out the cult like following it has. Its a garage queen now. So, as I have read, subie paint stinks I am looking for ideas on products to use. It should be in great shape, but we all know how that goes after a washing. I have the full line of Menz, Rupes and Wolfgang products along with Rupes pads, hydrotech and CCS pads. I have a feeling it will get CQuartzed when done.

Anyone with some starting suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Booking my first subie

I use m205 on the ones I've done and I've done quite a few. Super soft so start easy cause it doesn't take much to cut which will make for an easy detail

Post Thanks / Like

Be gentle with it. M205 should work but if you find yourself facing "sticky paint" which many of them have. You will have to modify your technique with any polish or compound. Wet buffing towels will become your friend.

Post Thanks / Like

I have only done 2 but I can tell you that the paint is very soft.

In both cases nothing more than Menz SF4000 was needed and I think I LC crimson and Menz Black finishing pad were needed, used with a DA polisher.

Given how easily I corrected the 2 I did with this combo, I would really err on the side of caution when starting your test spots regime.

You may be surprised at how easily you can correct it. Rather not remove any more clear coat than is absolutely necessary

Here are the links to the 2 in question should you wish to assess the results

Java Black Pearl Subaru Impreza WRX - Detailed by Lawrence

Obsidian Black Subaru Impreza Sti - Detailed by Lawrence

I hope you enjoy the experience and it doesn't present you with any major issues.

As for the stickiness, I am pretty certain that this would be compounded by the use of a rotary where the heat would be higher. Not that I think you need to use one.

Post up some pics and let us know how it went.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Lawrence, I have that menz and pad, I don't have whatever you used the black pad for though, I imagine if I needed a little topper I could use the Rupes white pad and ultra fine polish. I'm thinking I might pick up some microfiber madness towels if I confirm the booking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceSA View Post
    I have only done 2 but I can tell you that the paint is very soft.

In both cases nothing more than Menz SF4000 was needed and I think I LC crimson and Menz Black finishing pad were needed, used with a DA polisher.

Given how easily I corrected the 2 I did with this combo, I would really err on the side of caution when starting your test spots regime.

You may be surprised at how easily you can correct it. Rather not remove any more clear coat than is absolutely necessary

Here are the links to the 2 in question should you wish to assess the results

Java Black Pearl Subaru Impreza WRX - Detailed by Lawrence

Obsidian Black Subaru Impreza Sti - Detailed by Lawrence

I hope you enjoy the experience and it doesn't present you with any major issues.

As for the stickiness, I am pretty certain that this would be compounded by the use of a rotary where the heat would be higher. Not that I think you need to use one.

Post up some pics and let us know how it went.
    I concur, I have a 2011 and every day imperfections come out easily with SF4000 on a crimson HT pad. Deeper stuff took a tangerine pad and v36, but that was the exception. The only place this didn't hold true was on the plastic parts. They took a lot more work.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk