autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tacky Steering Wheel

Good Morning All,
    I am new to the forum, as a member, however I have been reading through for tips a lot.

I have an interesting problem that eludes me for the moment. Maybe someone can provide some outside input.

I have a 2013 Ram 1500. I've been really nitpicky about keeping it up since I bought it. However, leaving work the other night my hands may not have been as clean as they could be. I decided to give my wheel a quick wipe down with meguiars leather cleaner and conditioner, after doing my center console. I have read a few nightmare stories about the product, and that has me a little leery altogether. I just got meguiars, because I'm a big fan of their ultimate compound and NXT tech wax. However, to my point, my steering wheel is now tacky. I have read through other posts, although the majority seem to be with regard to leather wheels.

However, I did take note from the other posts an attempted a cleaning with hot water and just a touch of Dawn dish soap. It doesn't seem to have helped too too much. But, I will say there was a small improvement. I cleaned the wheel with a terry cloth towell.

I'm trying to avoid experimenting too much, for fear of damaging the wheel in my brand new truck (my baby, haha). If anyone has run into this in the past and has found a solution, I would really appreciate any advice. Thank you very much, in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tacky Steering Wheel

Do you have any APC or a dedicated leather cleaner?

Post Thanks / Like

It's more than likely residue from the dish detergent making the steering wheel sticky. My wife used it once on her steering wheel and it too became sticky! Use some leather cleaner and conditioner to get the sticky off and the put one of these on! It's neoprene, grippy, soft, and thin. And my heated steering wheel works just fine with it on! Walmart...$4.99!

Post Thanks / Like
    It could be tacky from begin clean but meguiars leather condioner/cleaner leaves the surface tacky at time use woolite or a apc to get rid of the tackyness

5. Thanks mwoywod thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not have a dedicated leather cleaner. I hate to admit it, but I cheaped out and bought a combo. The only interior cleaner I have is an old bottle of meguiars interior. It's like 8 years old, and I'm not sure I trust it. Anything that you've use that worked great, I'm all ears... Er... Eyes.

Also, thank you for your reply!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2013 Ram also with all leather.
    I recently used CG leather cleaner and CG leather serum after with great luck.
    Not sure their durability (time) claim is as good as they say but it did make the leather very soft and smooth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewdugas View Post
    I do not have a dedicated leather cleaner. I hate to admit it, but I cheaped out and bought a combo. The only interior cleaner I have is an old bottle of meguiars interior. It's like 8 years old, and I'm not sure I trust it. Anything that you've use that worked great, I'm all ears... Er... Eyes.

Also, thank you for your reply!
    Cloth and some white vinegar in a bucket of hot water and a few wipes should help get the sticky out. I'm assuming you have a leather wrapped wheel?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, and because of your suggestions, I rummaged through my "car care" kit they gave me with my ram. I have a bottle of Mopar Total Clean-All Purpose Cleaner. Does that seem like what I'm in need of? Forgive my ignorance.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just02896, I just have the base model plastic steering wheel. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewdugas View Post
    Also, and because of your suggestions, I rummaged through my "car care" kit they gave me with my ram. I have a bottle of Mopar Total Clean-All Purpose Cleaner. Does that seem like what I'm in need of? Forgive my ignorance.
    At this point you should probably refrain from adding to the stickiness by using yet another surfactant (cleaner). If this is in fact the reason for the stickiness, you just need to remove the residue from the previous cleaning. Try a bucket of hot water and a half a cup of vinegar. After that wipe down, grab another cloth with just hot water on it and wipe off again. :-)

Woolite also works well for sticky steering wheels!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast