autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

To clay or not to clay - that is the question

Just got my order in from AG and looking forward to spending the 4th trying out some of the products. My question is, do I need to clay, and how safe is it to clay?

The truck (Black Sand Pearl - Tacoma) was purchased from the dealer less than a month ago but I don't how long it was on the lot before, the paint feels smooth to me with only the minor swirling you would expect on a new car.

I ordered the Pinnacle Clay Kit, but now am wondering if I should use it or not? I've never used clay before and don't know if the risk is worth the reward? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    From my experience and readings... clay is non-abrasive to the clear coat. Meaning there is no risk to using clay, as long as, you are working with a properly lubricated surface.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick response. If I could alter the question a little, I'd love to know...

Does anyone have ANY horror stories of claying gone wrong?

Super Member Driven Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, claying is one of the most under-rated tools in the detailing world (even on new cars). If you're using OTC clays, you shouldn't have any problems scratching/marring the surface. Meg's red clay is about the only clay I can think of off the top of my head that might cause some marring.
    Mike Shumaker | Driven Auto Detail
    Authorized Opti-Coat Pro Installer

Serving Central Indiana & Beyond!

Post Thanks / Like
    mshu7, I see you have an '07 Taco with the TRD package listed in your sig. Any tips on detailing one? Planning on using Klasse AIO and WG DGPS - all applied by hand. Do you tape off the TRD graphics? Also, I've notice there's a thin rubber piece between the fender and the fender flare, it's so thin seems it would be a pain to tape, ANY advice would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try the "bag" method. Put your hand in a plastic bag and run it over the surface. If it feels rough then you need to clay. claying isn't a must, but it does help.

Super Member Driven Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    mak,

I just got my Taco last week. Unfortunately, last night was the first night I had time to even WASH it . I took Wednesday - Friday off this week so I plan on doing a full detail one of those days.

I don't think you'll go wrong with Klasse AIO & WG DGPS. I've used the AIO (ordered more if that tells ya anything) but I've not used the WG DGPS. Lots of people love both products so I think you're good there. Since you're applying by hand, no need to tape off. You should be able to apply both products to the TRD graphics w/o any concerns.
    Mike Shumaker | Driven Auto Detail
    Authorized Opti-Coat Pro Installer

Serving Central Indiana & Beyond!

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think you can clay wrong....actually you can. Just remember if you decide to clay to keep the surface lubricated or clay right after you washed the vehicle. Claying, in my opnion, is a must weather the vehicle is new or old. I've clayed brand new vehicles and you will be shocked at the contaminents that come of the vehicles. I was a skepting when I first started claying because I didn't bleave in it. Now that I've gotten my self quite deep into the detailing claying is your best friend to achive a great exterior looking vehicle...just my $0.02

Post Thanks / Like
    I also feel claying is a must plus if you are puting a wax on after i feel it makes the wax go on and come off easier. I use clay before i wax and polish and i feel it makes the job easier to work on a smoother vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok gues, I'm going to give the clay a try. Thanks for all the advice, hopefully none of this will end in tears.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast