autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Polish after clay?

Getting ready to clay my car for the second time. There is none to very minimal swirls. It's black so you can see every little thing. I'm just wondering after I clay do I really need to polish even if the car doesn't need it? Will the clay leave any marring behind? I'll be using Adams clay for reference if that helps. If I do need to polish could I use something very light such as m205 on a black pad or even ultimate polish on a black pad? I was considering picking up some sf4500, but it's back ordered. What do you guys think? After claying I might polish depending on what you guys says, then wax

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polish after clay?

You don't have to polish if you are happy with how it looks. There is no reason to take off more clear than you need, even if it is a miniscule ammount.

After claying you have a few choices:
    - Light polish, then wax
    - Paint Cleaner/chemical polish, then wax
    - Glaze, then wax
    - Wax

The light polishing (fine polish and/or black pad) or the paint cleaner will make sure the old wax/sealant is gone before you lay down the new stuff.

Using the glaze is purely for cosmetic reasons and will boost the shine before you lay down the LSP. However, it won't get rid of the old stuff.

Waxing is the final option, but you would still have remnants of the old products still on the surface of the car.

I only polish once a year in the Spring. In the Winter I don't bother knowing the abuse the car will take will quickly undo any of my work. In the past I've used Klasse AIO (its more of a pain cleaner than anything else) to clean up the paint before laying down Klasse SG for my winter prep. Next year I'm going to branch out a little and am considering a product like Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish. It appears to be a glaze that also has some cleaning properties. If you read around here you'll find many other fine finishing polishes or paint cleaners in addition to the two I've mentioned that might fit the bill for you.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

You dont NEED to polish after claying but there is the potential for marring when claying. Evalutate the paint after claying to see if polishing would be necessary.

However, you will need to wax after claying and perhaps you may want go with a mild AIO to finish up.
    2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ironsurvivor View Post
    Getting ready to clay my car for the second time.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    I'll assume you did the "baggie test" before deciding to clay this time around.

-When I clay, I always polish. Even if it's with a very fine polish.

And...With your vehicle having:
    Quote Originally Posted by ironsurvivor View Post
    There is none to very minimal swirls.
    I'll suggest you do likewise.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    Idk just another thought. I always think that for the most part. There is nothing written in stone. So why not let the paint let you know what it needs next.

Go out there and clay away and inspect the results after and see what your paint needs next. Just follow the normal steps and procedures.

Just wondering, are you going to be using a fine, medium, etc... clay?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be using Adams clay which I think is a fine clay.

Sent from the lab...

Post Thanks / Like

I always marr when I clay, even when dumping on QD. But I do it because I plan on polishing. so be careful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. It's supposed to be really nice next week. I won't be claying. I'm waiting for another month or two. I was just getting advice. I just wanted some sort of idea of what kind of really light polish would work well. Prima amigo?

Sent from the lab...

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I'm with Bob on this. If I clay, I polish. Period. M205 or Megs Ultimate Polish are probably 2 great choices to go with. I believe UP is a little less cut than M205 (from a couple charts I have seen on here, I think SF4000 and SF4500 are a little less cut than M205 also). I have black Hondas...all with soft paint. I've never clayed these cars without some fine marring in a few spots. I even use Pinnacle Ultra-Poly which is one of the least aggressive clays out there I believe.

When I do an exterior detail for other people, it's in reverse. I'm going to polish, so I'm going to clay first.

Edit: Todd Helme's chart lists M205 as a 4; SF4000 as a 3; and SF4500 as a 2. (higher number more aggressive). Also, Ultimate Polish is listed as a 3.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan