autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Orange Peel

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Orange Peel

In looking over my black 2001 GMC Yukon XL Denali, I have noted the 'Orange Peel' effect in all of my panels, except those repainted/clear coated by a body shop last year from a 'crash' repair. I've seen references on the web to the issue; some say wet sand, compunt, polish, etc.; others say it was a noxxle problem at the time the finish or clear was applied, so repaint / re-clear coat it.

What has been the success rate in this forum with members trying to correct this problem themselves? Or has no one dared, and you either live with it, are waiting to afford a paint job, or had a paint job?

Post Thanks / Like
    I live with it unless it's INSANE orange peel.

Post Thanks / Like
    bother the only way to correct peel is to wet-sand then work your way down. only problem is you run big risk. starting out with compound and harsh wool pad may smooth it out a little, give it a more even look.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only way is to wet sand it. Heavy polishes might help, but wetsanding is the only way to truely get rid of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    This kind of work should only be undertaken by a very experienced enthusiast or a professional detailer, the paint sections / panels that are difficult and involve risk are usually those that are close to the edges of a panel (as this is were paint is usually thinnest) or highly contoured areas. Flat areas like the trunk, hood or roof involve minimal risk.

Wet-sanding levels the paint (and removes orange peel, harsh acidic or alkaline marks, etc) it removes approximately 0.025- 0.003 Mils (a Mil is 1/1000th of an inch) of paint from the vehicle using 2000 -grit finishing paper, Bear in mind that a clear coat has a thickness of 1.5 – 2.0 Mils, removing more that 0.3 – 0.5 Milsof clear coat may cause premature paint film failure. As a point of reference a sheet of Saran wrap measures 0.95 Mils

A digital paint thickness gauge will allow you to measure the film thickness of the paint system which includes the e-coat, primer, base coat (colour) and clear coat, total thickness is usually 4.0 – 6.0 Mils. Check the paint system both before and after wet sanding and this will tell you how much paint has been removed.

For these reasons all car manufacturers now specify that the paint thickness be measured in 0.1mil, or 1/1000th of an inch before and after any wet sanding or buffing. The following are the maximum allowable clear coat reductions the major USA car manufacturers will allow: Chrysler – 0.5 mils; Ford – 0.3 mils; GM – 0.5 mils.

Post Thanks / Like
    Leave It Alone.........

Post Thanks / Like
    GM includes massive orange peel in all its rides for free ... one problem, never found anyone else that can match it !

Scott

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to everyone that replied... Dare I surmise that that `Vette has this gift?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash73
    Thanks to everyone that replied... Dare I surmise that that `Vette has this gift?
    GM blacks are notorious for it, friends black Denali is really bad. But don't feel bad, I was behind a Rolls Phantom that had bad orange peal, not something you expect when paying that much for a car.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like
    I had this issue with an old Dodge Shadow ES. I think it was about 5 years old at the time and I took it back to the dealer. They repainted the areas under warranty. I did go to 3 different shops until I found one that would do it though.