autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wheel brushes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheel brushes

Did you get these from Ammo or another site? I cant seem to find much on them other than his site. Seem marked up a lot to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an EZ Detail brush (pretty much the same brush but blue) and like it. I just bought the set of wheel woolies but have not used them yet. One thing I noticed is the material of the wheel woolies seems like they would be great for rinseless washes. Am I correct?
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

I can't speak for the woolies but I love my Daytona's. I have the Jr and big size and they are great. They fit into every nook and cranny of all wheel types. I finish up with a large diameter detailing brush (no idea where I picked it up back in the day) for the face of the wheels. I like that the bristles on the Daytona's are fairly rigid for scrubbing power, but you don't feel like you are doing any damage to the wheels. I've never had an issue with the splashing/spraying effect (never noticed it enough for it to bother me).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EXTJosh View Post
    I can't speak for the woolies but I love my Daytona's. I have the Jr and big size and they are great. They fit into every nook and cranny of all wheel types. I finish up with a large diameter detailing brush (no idea where I picked it up back in the day) for the face of the wheels. I like that the bristles on the Daytona's are fairly rigid for scrubbing power, but you don't feel like you are doing any damage to the wheels. I've never had an issue with the splashing/spraying effect (never noticed it enough for it to bother me).
    agreed. both sizes are awesome. the reach, flexibility, texture, etc...all perfect for the job.

and i have two large brushes, one pre-bent a certain way in the middle and slightly bent further toward the tip and then the other straight. i keep them this way so the paint doesn't crack, metal doesn't fatigue and ultimately kill the brush...which definitely can happen as i've been through a few of them prior to this latest plan.

i've said it before, if they simply made the damn things with a STAINLESS STEEL wire like the proposed Microfiber Madness brush, they could charge a bit more for the upgraded version. kinda bothers me that they know they have us by the...well, whatever...because they know the brush is so unique for its class and it'll break...and we'll keep buying 'em because they work so well when they aren't broken.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

I know this isn't the ideal solution nor is it the cheapest, but what if you bought 2 (or more?) of the Daytona and bent them as desired and left them that way. I've had my EZ Detail brush for almost 2 years and haven't had it break as I don't bend it too often (not too many complex wheel designs to deal with at least until the Cayman S leaves and the Carrera S arrives)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conman1395 View Post
    I know this isn't the ideal solution nor is it the cheapest, but what if you bought 2 (or more?) of the Daytona and bent them as desired and left them that way. I've had my EZ Detail brush for almost 2 years and haven't had it break as I don't bend it too often (not too many complex wheel designs to deal with at least until the Cayman S leaves and the Carrera S arrives)
    you must have posted at the same time i did as i said the same thing haha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    you must have posted at the same time i did as i said the same thing haha
    I guess I was writing that while you posted. My bad haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conman1395 View Post
    I guess I was writing that while you posted. My bad haha.
    lol nah it's good to hear you've been doing this and it has worked out. i just bought these latest two maybe a month or two ago so i'm glad to see the plan might pan out for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the mothers wheel & daytona jr. wheel brushes. But a game changer for me was the LC wool wheel mitt.

Lake Country Wool Wheel Washing Mitt

It really does a great job! Glad i added it.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

If you're in the business of detailing, then you'd probably need many types of wheel and tire cleaning tools because they come in a variety of shapes, sizes and designs, not to mention the condition they're in when brought to your shop/place of work, so you need to be prepared.

For a hobbyist and AGeek'er like me who work on the same set of wheels week in and week out, any tool that worked last week should work next week. And those wheels are most likely in more than decent shape. That's why when it comes to wheel cleaning tools, I only upgrade as needed. Before AG and the Internet, I didn't even touch the wheels (!) - I'd just spray-on with some Eagle One cleaner bought off the shelf, watch it dwell and drip into a brown muck on the floor, rinse off with a hose and let air dry. That was the extent of my tire and wheel cleaning back in the day. I'd then spray some Armour All on the tires. Ignorance was bliss, yeah!!!

Over the years, I switched from spray-on/rinse off to actually cleaning the wheel and tires with some tool, from MF towels, Mother's Tire Brush sets, MF chennille mitt, detailing brushes, and finally to Woolies. With the common/classic 5-spoke or 5-star wheel designs, where I can reach in quite easily, I get by with MF towels/mitts for 90% of it, except that area between barrel and brake caliper. For that I use Woolies. A Daytona brush would work too, there is no doubt, but I don't experiment with tools/products as much as the next Geek, and luckily I don't get easily swayed by Internet opinion. I follow Mike's motto - "find something you like and use it often". Woolies work for now, and I'll use it until it won't work anymore (or I buy a new car with a different design wheel...) My wife's Subaru has a multi-spoke design (which I hate cleaning) and for it, I require the smallest Woolie to get into each crevice.

In a couple of years, with a new car, all I have may not be enough, who knows. Then it's time to upgrade/switch once again.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast