autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: All LSP's shot on lower panels; user error?

Quote Originally Posted by goodinblack View Post
    I personally feel that apart from true coatings like OP and Finest....... everything is Hype.

This includes wgdgps

845 is for looks imo. It looks great even on white.
    I hear you man. Before Saturday's revelations, I was keen on purchasing/trading for products already known for outstanding protection, that could be layered within an hour or two b/w coats so that I could put down multiple layers in one day: polycharged Klasse/WGDGPS/Sonax Nano LiquidWax; ZFX'd Zaino, Jeffs Werkstat. Still think maybe, just maybe, these might give me the protection against the winter elements i'm looking for if multiple layers are applied, seeing though I was only able to lay down one coat of each LSP I used a month ago.

At that point though, with all the time and energy expended laying down multiple coats, wouldn't it be easier to just bite the bullet and purchase a coating? I think so. A coating is now on the radar for me.

Post Thanks / Like

All LSP's shot on lower panels; user error?

I experience the same thing:

Salt + snow + wax = toast on lower panels.

I reapply wax each month and use Sonax Brilliant Shine QD between washes which beads like crazy.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

How about a few coats of sealant AND if ur still not happy then move up to a coating? I think a sealant layered on itself every month for 3 months and u will be happy. KSG is KEwL

4. Thanks jdgamble thanked for this post
    Likes jdgamble liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattyL View Post
    Carried out my winter prep about a month ago. Put 6 different LSP's on various panels to compare with each other: collinite 915, Klasse Sealant Glaze, Duragloss 601/501 followed by 601/105, and DG 601/501 followed by 601/111, and BFWD. All panels were clayed and were prepped with paint cleanser, even the DG 501 panels!

Fast forward to yesterday; first wash since then bc of the cold weather we've been having. It has snowed 3 times in this span, which required road salt to be spread each time.

Problem is, the lower portions of every panel look like they're toast; water BARELY sheeting after cleaning.

So am I to believe the only way to protect against road salt is with a coating such as Opti-Coat? Was it something in my prep? I'm very disappointed given it has been only one month and just 3 road saltings, and these are supposed to be among the most protective products on the market besides a coating.
    See your problem is was you didn't get the salt off of your LSP'S. I know this is an old thread but it is a relevant problem. What can we use to remove road salts without removing the LSP? I used ps21 total auto wash at 10/1 last week and that seemed to work. What else is out there?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stilltipping3 View Post
    How about a few coats of sealant AND if ur still not happy then move up to a coating? I think a sealant layered on itself every month for 3 months and u will be happy. KSG is KEwL
    No you would just be sealing in all the road salt and contamination

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattyL View Post
    Clayed all the panels, can't remember if I mentioned that. I just had the expectation that these "protective heavyweights" would hold for at least a month, I mean c'mon. Wish I would have know this before I purchased all these different LSP's. The hype machine caught hold of me and tagged me hook,line, and sinker, wow!

Looks like a coating is in order for next year, if all I have to do is Iron-X it and maybe a clay.

You're not kidding man. I was floored after realizing how corrosive this stuff is. And to do this after only 3 saltings? I put another coat of everything on the car yesterday and let it sit in the garage overnight, so maybe these new layers will make a difference. Just bought a tin of 1000p and picked up the Zaino system (ZAIO, Z5, ZFX) in a trade; now I regret both acquisitions, especially after finding out about Zaino's water-etching issues only AFTER I agreed to the trade.

The trials and tribulations of a noob!
    All you did with the new layers was seal in the contamination. Unless you use some type of abrasive or chemical cleaner you wont get the film off.

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I've found that comes in a tub that holds up to winter / snow / salt / around here is Synergy. Applied it before the snow and just did a wash with McKees 37 rinseless & beading is legit on the bottom of lowest panels.

In order to see what is going on - you have to wash with some wash product that leaves nothing behind - then recheck the beading with a hose or whatever. If the car is dirty - lower panels will not bead because traffic film / dirt isn't hydrophobic. You have to remove the dirt first to see.

Applied another coat of Synergy - cuz why not?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    The only thing I've found that comes in a tub that holds up to winter / snow / salt / around here is Synergy. Applied it before the snow and just did a wash with McKees 37 rinseless & beading is legit on the bottom of lowest panels.

In order to see what is going on - you have to wash with some wash product that leaves nothing behind - then recheck the beading with a hose or whatever. If the car is dirty - lower panels will not bead because traffic film / dirt isn't hydrophobic. You have to remove the dirt first to see.

Applied another coat of Synergy - cuz why not?
    What can you use to remove the contamination without removing the lsp that's the big question. I used total auto wash at like 10/1 last week and that seemed to work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12