autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Metallic paint or not?

Hey guys,
    Knowing what you know now on detailing, would you choose flat paint over metallic one for your next vehicle?

I just thought a well maintained vehicle with flat paint might have deeper color, gloss and reflectivity. On the other hand swirls and scratches could also be more obvious if left uncorrected.

Anyone has personal experience?

Post Thanks / Like
    I assume you actually mean "flat" as in solid color not a matte finish like it might be taken?

Because flat will have no reflectivity, at least I've never seen.

Right now on my car I have jet black w/red and blue flake (turns purple in the sun) and I have no problems with reflections and deep shine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, and yes "flat" paint as in solid color without metallic flake

Post Thanks / Like
    Like I've seen some metallics overpower the reflections, but it doesn't happen on all cars, just really depends I guess.

One of the guys here has a new Focus and says he doesn't appreciate the flake taking away from the potential mile deep shine he could have. Not that his car doesn't create reflections obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by tedhw View Post
    Thanks, and yes "flat" paint as in solid color without metallic flake

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Metallic paint or not?

I have one of each. Jet black 2005 Vette and Metallic black 2011 Chrysler 300. Both have great depth and shine in direct sunlight. Most of the time you can hardly see the metallic on the black. Only up close and in certain lighting. You can't go wrong with either when maintained properly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Metallic paint or not?-20131014_163337-jpg   Metallic paint or not?-corvette-pic-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

I love the look of metallic, just repainted my 75 vette from solid corvette red to a deep red metallic, wife owns a red jewel tint metallic Camaro, my truck is bright silver metallic, and our daily driver Malibu is red jewel tint metallic. If I were going to buy a boat, I guess I'd have to get a bass boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer metalic paint because it tends to hide imperfections a bit better. However, like others have said, it all depends on the paint.

On a lighter color like silver or gray I like a higher metallic content because it makes those colors more dynamic and pop when the sun hits them. On darker colors I prefer less metalic content with smaller particles. My grey Mazda has a ligh ammount of metalic flake and the partcles are of a medium size. When the sun hits it, it gleams and reflects. This turns boring graphite grey into a really nice color. I have to try REALLY hard to see any swirls. I'm sure they are there, its just the metalic flake making it hard to see. My Toyota and VW are both dark colors with a mild ammount of flake and the particals are really tiny. On both cars, you have to be right up against them to see it. This gives those colors a little "glow" rather than a sparkle like bigger more present flakes would appear. They almost seem like a "flat" color from any distance.

I noticed a new Ford Explorer in black at work the other day. It was highly metalic with large particles, all most bass boat-like. I'm not sure I'd want that in a dark vehicle.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog