autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Glaze and high quality wax question.

I have been reading about glazes. I have read that they can be used before and after wax. I have also read that they contain oils that rejuvenate the paint. Shouldn't base coat/clear coat paint be sealed and not allow oils to penetrate therefore wasting time before wax? How about applying glaze on top of wax? Do the oils and chemicals breakdown the protective qualities of the wax? I have always been curious about this and finally decided to ask.

I have been using Meguiar's Tech Wax for a few years and am pleased with it, but would like to see if I can find something I like better. I have been looking and some of the more expensive options. Is there truly a visible difference going from the $20 wax(I like Natty's blue) to something in the $50+ range. Finally, does anyone have a favorite wax that will make silver paint pop as much as silver can? Thanks in advance.

Super Member Scott@IncrediblyDetailed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glaze and high quality wax question.

3-4 layers of Klasse sealant glaze is great on silver and lighter color cars.

Have you ever tried collinite 845? It's also a great wax and very durable for less than $20.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never tried collinite 845. I am a huge fan of the Klasse AIO so I should probably give the sealant glaze a try.

I did try Surf City Nano Seal and was very unhappy. Meguiars has a new sealant that I have been considering.

Post Thanks / Like

Klasse sealant does look good on silver. So does meguiar's ultimate wax. I like using both. Wolfgang's 3.0 seems good and has good reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcrazy View Post
    How about applying glaze on top of wax? Do the oils and chemicals breakdown the protective qualities of the wax?
    You can apply a glaze on top of a wax, however it will come off very soon after. Glazes also have no protective qualities to them, as you already know, just oils that fill swirls and scratches and contribute to the paint looking extra wet.

Now, I don't have any experience with putting a glaze over wax, partly because it is just all around better if you put it under, but I don't think it would have any negative impact on the wax. I'm fairly certain that without anything on top of it (i.e. wax or sealant) it would wash away at the first sight of water. However if it was something that you wanted to do, say every wash because you enjoy it, I don't think you would see anything bad. I would think that many people do this prior to showing off their car, maybe a few hours before a car show, just to add that extra level of gloss and shine.

Happy detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

I think the type of product you use on Silver (or really any color) depends on what your looking for in the shine.

I'm a long time user of the Klasse twins and used them on a silver BWM for many years. I also used a wax with a high carnauba content before that on the same car. I found the wax created a deep, warm, kinda glowing-like gloss whereas the Klasse created a great shine, but it wasn't as deep.

I don't have that car and have continued to use Klasse products on many of my cars since with similar results. Great shine, but a little shallow and a little cold/sterile yet with nearly unmatched durability.

I recently started giving 845 a try and the more I use it, the more I like it. I've found the look to be more balanced. There is a great shine, but it seems to warm up the color and make the shine a little deeper.

To answer your question about glazes, I've always used them under the selant/wax to hide flaws and spruce up the appearance.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

WGDGPS and Megs Ultimate Liquid Wax both look awesome on lighter colored cars, White and Silver.

I would give the edge to WGDGPS though.

Glazes fill in slight imperfections so they really should be used under the wax.

BUT....

The finish should be and if it is prepared correctly you won't need a Glaze before applying the wax or Sealant.

The WG Twins - Total Swirl Remover and Finishing Glaze (Not really a glaze, it's a finishing polish) would be excellent then finish with Deep Gloss Paint Sealant.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want a glaze that will make your paint pop buy a bottle of EZ Cream Glaze.
    It's made with acrylic so you can just about use any type of sealant without having to worry about bonding issues.

Sometimes when I want my paint to pop without waxing I apply EZ and man wow big shine plus you can use it as often as you wish without having to worry about wax build up.

EZ to apply and remove.
    Good price too.
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    There are different type of glazes. There are old skool glazes that are oily and seem to be best used on single stage paint. Meg's #7 is the classic example. These may be best used to revitalize weathered single stage paint or to put *something* on a new paint job while it outgasses.

Then there are new glazes. A lot of these *seem* to be acrylic based products. They are almost like a sealant, but without the longevity and perhaps beading qualities.

If you want to try a good modern glaze - try Poor Boys Black Hole. It does look good on silver - even though its for dark colors. Nice waxes for silver are Fuzion & P21S (either). If you want a glaze with cleaners/abrasives in it try Prima Amigo. It's quite good.

The only manufacturer I've ever seen recommend putting their glaze on top of a wax was with Wet Glaze 2.0. Yes it's an awesome product - but they don't make it anymore.