autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

matching product with pad, what happens if you mismatch?

I have been reading on here for a month or so. Forgive me if I have missed it, but I want to know what happens if you use a more aggressive product with a less aggressive pad, or a more aggressive pad with a less aggressive product.

For examples sake lets say meguiars m105 with a black lake country pad, or lets say m205 with a yellow lake country pad. Obviously the wrong pads for the products, but what would happen nothing or nothing much?

As I understand it, the product is what is more aggressive or not. Like more or less grit in the product. What role does the pad aggressiveness play? I know they go hand in hand, but can someone help clear this up in my mind?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: matching product with pad, what happens if you mismatch?

Quote Originally Posted by new2me View Post
    I have been reading on here for a month or so. Forgive me if I have missed it, but I want to know what happens if you use a more aggressive product with a less aggressive pad, or a more aggressive pad with a less aggressive product.

For examples sake lets say meguiars m105 with a black lake country pad, or lets say m205 with a yellow lake country pad. Obviously the wrong pads for the products, but what would happen nothing or nothing much?

As I understand it, the product is what is more aggressive or not. Like more or less grit in the product. What role does the pad aggressiveness play? I know they go hand in hand, but can someone help clear this up in my mind?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.
    I use 205 with a yellow pad often when doing a 1 step polish and get fantastic results

There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers

Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is that you can change up these combos (pad and polish) to get the desired cut and finish from various products. For instance M205 on a yellow pad may be a great cut for when a compound is not quite needed, but it might not finish out as well as if you used a white pad.

Now on the other extreme, using a compound on a finishing pad won't give you the mechanical cutting power that a more aggressive pad would and you wouldn't get removal results as quickly (or at all).

Then again, the paint you're working on could be the single biggest factor in how these combos interact.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I use 205 with a yellow pad often when doing a 1 step polish and get fantastic results

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by new2me View Post
    I don't think you can have wrong pads for a product if the setup works for your situation. Now they may be quite strange but if they do what you want then it's the right combination. It goes to show there's more than one way to skin a cat (no animals were injured making this post). I think we all eventually get our favorite combinations we know and use frequently but you have to be flexible when you get extremely soft or extremely hard paints.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using m205 with a mf cutting pad on the wife's car I'm happy with the results I'm getting

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aim4squirrels View Post
    My understanding is that you can change up these combos (pad and polish) to get the desired cut and finish from various products. For instance M205 on a yellow pad may be a great cut for when a compound is not quite needed, but it might not finish out as well as if you used a white pad.

Now on the other extreme, using a compound on a finishing pad won't give you the mechanical cutting power that a more aggressive pad would and you wouldn't get removal results as quickly (or at all).

Then again, the paint you're working on could be the single biggest factor in how these combos interact.
    True!

The biggest factor to me is how much $ does the customer have in their wallet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aim4squirrels View Post

That's it. What I like to think is that softer pads with (not always) lighter products tend to finish better, closer to what I consider LSP ready.

The opposite for me is true, I mean, coarser pads tends to correct better, but most of the time needs a softer pad to follow to improve the finish.

That's why it's not common (for me) to use a very 'heavy cut' pad with a very light product, just because their 'function' doesn't match.

For me, if M205 does not get the correction I want on a polishing pad, I will move to M105 on a polishing pad (before going to M105 on a cutting pad), instead of M205 on cutting pad. Got my point?

Of course, this is not a rule, and only experimenting will give you a more precise answer. I'm pretty sure in some cases M205 will work with cutting pads, that's just not what is supposed to do (Advanced FINISHING polish)...

A test spot is the most precise answer you can get.

That's my 0.002 cents.

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

The results are going to depend on the abarsiveness of your pad and your product.

It is not uncommon to pair a more aggressive pad with a ligher polish for single-stage corrections.

Regular Member David at LC Pads's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There are really no rules when it comes to pads and compounds or polishes. Experiment and decide what you like based on your "desired result"