autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Too much information...

Having fun going through this site for the next several days. Lots of searches.

I guess the question I'd like to ask, is What Would you Do?

I just bought a new F150, Tuxedo black.
    Parked outside, in Maryland
    Wild temperature changes and weekly precipitation
    winter road salt
    hard well water, though it doesn't stain
    Some oak trees overhead - birds, bugs, pollen etc.
    Occasional forays hunting offroad (branches, mud - the works)

I wash my vehicles about once a week - 2 bucket, grit guard etc.
    I'd like to wax and/or seal every 6 months or so.
    I'd had recommendations for Collitie 845 over Klasse all in one (after clay bar).
    I do have a PC 8335 RA sander that could receive a polishing head.
    I'd like to keep a head turning shine on it, without having to wax monthly. I would consider sealers.

What do you guys think would best meet my needs? I humbly ask - what would be your products and regimen?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Too much information...

I think you are a prime candidate for a coating.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    I think you are a prime candidate for a coating.
    That was my first thought too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Want more customers for your detailing business?
    Find out how: www.detailsummit.com

Mike Phillips

Since this is your first post...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Nice looking truck. One thing I recommend and practice is RIGHT NOW while your truck is in GREAT condition, start taking care of it and especially any black plastic trim.

Most people don't take care of the plastic trim till a couple of years go buy and it has already oxidized and faded. Then they look for a miracle product to save it.

It's better to find something you like and start using it right away. It's fast and easy and will keep black plastic surfaces looking new.

When I met my wife Stacy she had not taken care of the black plastic trim on her Honda. I used the Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant on it after cleaning it really well and then re-applied it each time after washing and drying the car.

When we traded her Honda in for her MB the car looked brand new including the trim. The owner of the dealership couldn't believe the car was 10 years old.

Just a friendly tip after seeing the cool looking black grill.

Coatings last longer than waxes and sealants but all three "types" of products will keep your truck looking brand new. The key is to make sure however it's "touched", this means how it's washed and dried and also how it's wiped with spray detailers, always do the best work you can and use high quality products.

You can put swirls and scratches into a clearcoat finish very quickly. It takes time to machine buff them out. It's better not to put them into the paint in the first place.

I'm a wax fan but have switched my red Chevy truck over to the new Black Label Diamond Paint Coating and so far... I like it...

Ready for the Mud!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. The coatings are intriguing. What happens when they reach the end of their life say 6 to 9 months down the road? Must they be mechanically removed with a buffer and polish before being reapplied?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by paxfish View Post
    Thanks for the input. The coatings are intriguing. What happens when they reach the end of their life say 6 to 9 months down the road? Must they be mechanically removed with a buffer and polish before being reapplied?
    That's the best way, machine polish and rec-oat except they're supposed to last longer than 6-9 months. How long any product be it a wax, synthetic paint sealant or coating lasts on the surface for the most part comes down to how the car is "touched" after application.

Nothing is going to last a long time or look good a long time (that's two things), if you run a car or truck through an automatic brush style car wash.

On the flip side, if you wash the car carefully like I share in my how-to book as well as on this forum then it will last longer than a wax or sealant.

There's benefits and drawbacks to matter what you choose to use but no matter what you choose to use IF you want your vehicle's paint to look good then it really comes down to what touches the paint and how it touches the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

After you get the finish as you like it apply a coat of Wolfgang Glossy Paint Sealant and sit back and watch the black paint glow
    It's the most amazing sealant I've ever used, last long too!

Super Member Scott@IncrediblyDetailed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would clay, polish and use a coating.

I'm also from Maryland! Welcome to AGO!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies...

I was grateful for the nice weather this weekend in Maryland. It gave me a chance to get some protection on the truck.

With your recommendations, I clayed and then applied 2 coats of Collinite insulator wax. I do have some Blackice sealer on the way, along with some Wolfgang trim sealant. This will be tested on the wife's 10 year old lexus, (after being polished with the AG yellow pads on the way...)

I also hit the undercarriage of the truck, the frame and all drain holes with a couple of cans of Amsoil HD metal protector. Nice stuff - the water beads off the waxy coating.

Here are the results. The Ford paint seems to have quite a texture to it, resulting in sort of an impressionist reflection.

For the undercarriage:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast