autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Orange peel question.

So a guy asking me about how can orange peel can be fix or manage to get a better termination on a paint with this problem. The car is black, may swirls marks as well. I have done some paint restoration and some minor paint corrections (not a whole car) but I never deal with this type of job. There is a video or thread here that covers this info or can I get someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Orange peel question.

paint correction can be done, for the most part but it can always be a case by case basis. You can do a test spot and based on those results you can either duplicate them on the entire car or do another test spot in a different section of a car to dial down your method. Measuring the paint is always a good practice

As far as orange peel goes, it can be removed without repainting the car, if you have enough cc to start out with, but then you'd be left with less CC on the car. Which if the owner wants it removed and does mind living with a minimal amount of CC and he knows the drawbacks of this procedure, then in the end it is up to him.

Removing orange peel on a OEM paint job can be an advanced job. I'd be careful in tackling it if one does not have the experience and know how on how to do this.

A different option could be to get the car resprayed with additional layers of CC to have enough CC to level out the orange peel and leave the CC with a mirror finish. That however is a whole different ball game.

^ just my opinion and also just trying to help.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post
    paint correction can be done, for the most part but it can always be a case by case basis. You can do a test spot and based on those results you can either duplicate them on the entire car or do another test spot in a different section of a car to dial down your method. Measuring the paint is always a good practice

As far as orange peel goes, it can be removed without repainting the car, if you have enough cc to start out with, but then you'd be left with less CC on the car. Which if the owner wants it removed and does mind living with a minimal amount of CC and he knows the drawbacks of this procedure, then in the end it is up to him.

Removing orange peel on a OEM paint job can be an advanced job. I'd be careful in tackling it if one does not have the experience and know how on how to do this.

A different option could be to get the car resprayed with additional layers of CC to have enough CC to level out the orange peel and leave the CC with a mirror finish. That however is a whole different ball game.

^ just my opinion and also just trying to help.

Good luck
    Thanks brother, I`ve done some minor paint corrections but nothing too big. I`m not afraid on doing it just want to be careful and not damage the CC on the car. Anyway if he comes I`ll try and will follow your advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    NP, I was also hoping others would chime in as well to hear their ideas and opinions... Hopefully they do.

Either way,
    Good luck...

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe look into the CarPro orange peel pads. I hear they work great for this.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

If this paint is factory finish go with the velvet pads first. The denim pads are for thicker aftermarket paint. Probably should not tackle this kind of thing without a coating thickness gauge to see where you stand and if the paint is even over the whole car.

If I was to do the job, I would get rid of the swirls and make the paint clear first, ask the client what he thinks. That may be all it takes for him to be happy. Removing orange peel from factory finishes can be a stressful time.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

When using a DA, many suggest using the denim on OEM paint.

My understanding is that the original suggestion of Velvet on OEM and Denim on After Market is when used w a Rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see how polishing will remove orange peel? I have always sanded. When sanding I check my progress by drying the area and looking for shiny spots (they are the low spots). If I was polishing the whole area would be shiny? I also rarely go above 1500 grit since I know I can buff out 1500 grit scratches ( I do try 3000 to start and then move down). Most of my sanding has been to very small areas but I do do my front bumper complete every spring so far). I'm spray bombing with base clear and the clear needs to be sanded every time. Having done this 3 times I jump right to 1500. I can tell by the feel and sound when I am almost done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy2001 View Post
    I don't see how polishing will remove orange peel? I have always sanded. When sanding I check my progress by drying the area and looking for shiny spots (they are the low spots). If I was polishing the whole area would be shiny? I also rarely go above 1500 grit since I know I can buff out 1500 grit scratches ( I do try 3000 to start and then move down). Most of my sanding has been to very small areas but I do do my front bumper complete every spring so far). I'm spray bombing with base clear and the clear needs to be sanded every time. Having done this 3 times I jump right to 1500. I can tell by the feel and sound when I am almost done.
    It definitely can. Those carpro pads are designed to do so.

They will need plenty of passes however (~20 passes seems to be a good target) and will remove at least 4 microns of paint in my experience.

Here's a photo I snapped after using the Carpro Denim Pad on a Griot's Garage DA after 18 passes with M100 as the compound.

Orange Peel Removal - Zoom in to see texture detail - Album on Imgur
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast