autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes Diamond Ultra Fine vrs Menz SF4500

Did some playing around on my hood to remove some very fine marring I noticed in a location. Of course, this led to polishing the whole hood, which led to comparing 2 polishes using the same variables (same pads: Rupes White / same machine: Rupes 15). I took no pictures of before or the process, as the marring was too fine to really capture.

But, some general observations is that the Rupes Ultra Fine Diamond polish just worked better than the Menz with this set up. The SF4500 buffs fine and wipes off easy - but accomplished nothing. It didn't remove even the finest of marring I was going after. The Rupe's polish finished perfect, and actually took care of all the marring. I've noticed this before with SF4500 - it leaves the paint looking great, but will not remove the slightest of defects. At least that is the case on my cars.

I was really surprised that the Rupes Ultra Fine cut so well and actually does "work". It removed (not improved) the defects I was going after, and left a perfect finish. It's a little harder to wipe off than the Menz, but it's not bad.

I did pull it out in the sun and take some after pictures of the hood:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes Diamond Ultra Fine vrs Menz SF4500

Sounds like your light marring was too much for SF4500. SF4000 might have been a better choice. You should give Sonax Perfect Finish a try. On a scale of 1-6, PF cut is a 4 and the finish is a six. Great for well kept cars. Of course you might have the Perfect Polish in Rupes Ultra Fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you prime the face of the pad with Rupes Ultra Fine?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Sounds like your light marring was too much for SF4500. SF4000 might have been a better choice. You should give Sonax Perfect Finish a try. On a scale of 1-6, PF cut is a 4 and the finish is a six. Great for well kept cars. Of course you might have the Perfect Polish in Rupes Ultra Fine.
    Yeah, I thought of that. My goal when polishing my car is to use the finest least aggressive polish possible, that will still actually remove some light defects. Usually I find that's not possible. Maybe the BMW paint is hard? That is why I was shocked when I saw the Rupes Ultrafine work so well.

Post Thanks / Like

First thought would be that Rupes Ultra Fine would be better compared to Menz PF2500 or FF3000. Was the gloss a little deeper with the Menz over the rupes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FivePoint.0 View Post
    Did you prime the face of the pad with Rupes Ultra Fine?
    No. 3 dots of polish and one spray of WG Pad Spray. The Rupes polish looked better than anything I've seen. The real surprise of this wasn't how good it looked, but the cut it ended up having for a finishing polish. Other fine finishing polishes I've tried won't remove squat on BMW paint as far defects go IME. I did run the Rupes at speed 6 and use decent downward pressure. Then I used speed 4 with little or no pressure for a few light passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just02896 View Post
    First thought would be that Rupes Ultra Fine would be better compared to Menz PF2500 or FF3000. Was the gloss a little deeper with the Menz over the rupes?
    No. The gloss with the Rupes was as good as I've seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    No. 3 dots of polish and one spray of WG Pad Spray. The Rupes polish looked better than anything I've seen. The real surprise of this wasn't how good it looked, but the cut it ended up having for a finishing polish. Other fine finishing polishes I've tried won't remove squat on BMW paint as far defects go IME. I did run the Rupes at speed 6 and use decent downward pressure. Then I used speed 4 with little or no pressure for a few light passes.
    Did you not prime the Rupes pad because of personal choice or is that the way Rupes recommends?

If the latter, is this due to the Rupes pad or due to their liquids (in other words, if you use a different non-Rupes liquid do you prime the Rupes pad?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SR99 View Post
    Did you not prime the Rupes pad because of personal choice or is that the way Rupes recommends?

If the latter, is this due to the Rupes pad or due to their liquids (in other words, if you use a different non-Rupes liquid do you prime the Rupes pad?)
    I didn't prime the pads because Rupes doesn't do it in their videos. I think that Marco guy knows what's up. I'm headed to Autopia to order more Rupes polishes and pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I didn't prime the pads because Rupes doesn't do it in their videos. I think that Marco guy knows what's up. I'm headed to Autopia to order more Rupes polishes and pads.
    Looks like you found the right combo. I'm still not giving up on 4500 for finishing. Did you try a different pad (B&S) with the 4500?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast