autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Crap/Mold on Weatherstripping but only on the lower window part, how to clean/remove?

Hello again... Has anyone ever saw/experienced something like this? It is only the lower weatherstripping around the Windows... It is nasty & I cannot get it to come off completely... It is nowhere else on the vehicle, not even around the seals/weatherstripping on the top of the car which has a "Panoroof"

Things I have tried thus far...

APC (Adam's Polishes diluted 5:1)
    Clay Bar
    Alcohol Pads/Swabs (this worked the best as it knocked the high spots but did not completely remove it)

Pics (I live in SW GA BTW)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crap/Mold on Weatherstripping but only on the lower window part, how to clean/remove?

Maybe try a soft tooth brush on it with some simple green or something stronger.?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crap/Mold on Weatherstripping but only on the lower window part, how to clean/remove?

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    Maybe try a soft tooth brush on it with some simple green or something stronger.?
    Thanks, I may try that...

I tried some Adam's APC diluted and a toothbrush and it didnt remove it but did help a little...

Im tempted just to replace the darn things... But thought I would post here asking for suggestions...

Post Thanks / Like

1. Just use some APC and a microfiber towel to wipe it down. It might take a little bit of elbow grease but you should start to see some dirt transferring to your towel. Remove as much of the dirt/gunk as possible, then let dry.
    2. Next to completely clean the surface I would use 1z Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner. It might take multiple passes to completely clean the rubber.
    3.To prevent future contamination I would recommend sealing the rubber surface. I have had good luck with Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant.

Some other strong rubber/vinyl cleaners I would try.
    Meguiars #39 Heavy Duty Vinyl cleaner
    Amazing Roll off
    Duragloss #701 whitewall tire cleaner

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by geekdout View Post
    1. Just use some APC and a microfiber towel to wipe it down. It might take a little bit of elbow grease but you should start to see some dirt transferring to your towel. Remove as much of the dirt/gunk as possible, then let dry.
    2. Next to completely clean the surface I would use 1z Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner. It might take multiple passes to completely clean the rubber.
    3.To prevent future contamination I would recommend sealing the rubber surface. I have had good luck with Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant.

Some other strong rubber/vinyl cleaners I would try.
    Meguiars #39 Heavy Duty Vinyl cleaner
    Amazing Roll off
    Duragloss #701 whitewall tire cleaner
    Thanks... I may a couple of your suggestions depending on price of the products.. If that doesnt remove it completely I am just going to replace them I believe since I have scrubbed and scrubbed and nothing removes it completely...

Im baffled why it is only on this weatherstripping and not on other parts of the vehicle where there is weatherstripping...

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried steam. Not sure if it will work, but you never know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry but APC isn't going to get that out. Is it a Mitsubishi? My sisters car is infested with that crap and I live in ga also. You might need to use a polish or compound.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ct18 View Post
    Have you tried steam. Not sure if it will work, but you never know.

I have not but don't have a steamer... BTW Im a newbie to all this detailing/cleaning/etc stuff...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KillaCam View Post
    Sorry but APC isn't going to get that out. Is it a Mitsubishi? My sisters car is infested with that crap and I live in ga also. You might need to use a polish or compound.
    Nope it is a '12 KIA Optima EX... Guess I Should have specified that...

Just thought I would post here before I got them all replaced or removed what I could and apply some type of "VRT" to them and hope it doesnt come back as bad...

Post Thanks / Like

Try undiluted Adam's APC. It won't hurt the trim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast