autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Fix for Harbor Freight DA

I found the HF DA in local HF store where I live.
    I have read many reviews and concluded that the machine is worth giving it a try at under $60 (minus 25% discount coupon).

The question is: what foam pads should I buy for it? Can I put just any 6' foam pad on it?

I have read reviews of foam pads sold for this DA and most people complain that they shred into pieces due to backing plate being too large (stated to be 6", measured at 5,3", while the foam pad is only 5").

I see some place order for the Velcro backing plates and immediately replace the OM backing plate on HF DA.

Do I really need to do that?

I will use it for ONE TIME application of polish and sealant and may not be using the DA for the next few months until it's time to remove the old sealant and put a fresh coat of wax for the spring.

Anyone with experience of dealing with HF DA pads, please share your thoughts on best fixes.

Thank you!

Carenthusiast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fix for Harbor Freight DA

If you go with the HF DA then certainly upgrade your backing plate to ones offered here at AG. I will personally recommend you get a 5" plate and 5.5" pads as these are easier to use and you will get better correction.

I would also pick up good quality pads from AG as well
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

I found these on Autogeek

lake country 5 inch backing plate, 5 inch backin plate, 5 inch hook and loop backing plate

@ $14.99, it's from Lake Country.

Would this work with HF DA?

Can I still use the HF blue and black foam pads ( see 6 in. Variable Speed Dual Action Polisher ) with the Flexible Backing Plate LC-43-125DA ? Or do I need to order pads separately from AG as well?

$15 plus shipping costs plus around $50 for the HF (after 25% discount) brings total to $65. Still acceptable, but I will have to place separate orders and wait for plate/pads to arrive in mail while I pick up the DA from the local store. Urghh .... =/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carenthusiast View Post
    I found these on Autogeek

lake country 5 inch backing plate, 5 inch backin plate, 5 inch hook and loop backing plate

@ $14.99, it's from Lake Country.

Would this work with HF DA?

Can I still use the HF blue and black foam pads ( see 6 in. Variable Speed Dual Action Polisher ) with the Flexible Backing Plate LC-43-125DA ? Or do I need to order pads separately from AG as well?

$15 plus shipping costs plus around $50 for the HF (after 25% discount) brings total to $65. Still acceptable, but I will have to place separate orders and wait for plate/pads to arrive in mail while I pick up the DA from the local store. Urghh .... =/
    Yes. That backing plate will work. And, yes, the HF foam pads are good pads except the velcro on the back does not extend to the edge so you may find (like myself and others have) that the backing plate will come into contact with the outer edge and cause pieces of the pad to come off.

Also, the HF pads (while a good quality pad) are a bit on the thick side. You will get better results buying some Lake Country 'low profile' pads:

Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads (<-- good pad)

and/or:

Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads 3 Pack - Your Choice! (<-- better pad)

These pads make it easier to keep the backing plate rotating. You will struggle a bit to keep the HF pads rotating....especially around certain body lines.

I have been using the HF random orbital for quite awhile now and on a lot of vehicles and it works very well. It has plenty enough power to get the job done. You won't be disappointed.

What are you planning to use for a compound and polish?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockeey View Post
    Yes. That backing plate will work. And, yes, the HF foam pads are good pads except the velcro on the back does not extend to the edge so you may find (like myself and others have) that the backing plate will come into contact with the outer edge and cause pieces of the pad to come off.

Also, the HF pads (while a good quality pad) are a bit on the thick side. You will get better results buying some Lake Country 'low profile' pads:

Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads (<-- good pad)

and/or:

Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads 3 Pack - Your Choice! (<-- better pad)

These pads make it easier to keep the backing plate rotating. You will struggle a bit to keep the HF pads rotating....especially around certain body lines.

I have been using the HF random orbital for quite awhile now and on a lot of vehicles and it works very well. It has plenty enough power to get the job done. You won't be disappointed.

What are you planning to use for a compound and polish?
    I will be doing paint correction on a new car that got swirl marks and fine scratches on delivery (I assume this happened when the dealers' shop detailed my car prior to delivery).

Some users here suggested M205 for polishing and removing of the fine scratches and I think I will order it from AG along with M21 or DG105.
    If I am able to fully correct the paint using DA and M205 I will go with DG105 for winter sealing. If the finish is not perfect I will apply M21 instead and continue with another round of M205 in spring.

I think I will need blue pad for polish and black for sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockeey View Post

I've had the same experience with the 6" pads on the backing plate that comes with the device. When compounding or polishing I get only one use out of the pads before they start falling apart and start dusting the car with a fine dusting of foam bits. The black finishing pads last longer due to less pressure and working time, but after 3~4 uses they start coming apart as well.

I'm done with the HF pads and backing plate. Next Spring I'm going to order the LC 5" backing plate and go with 5.5" LC pads.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...k-through.html

This thread made me think of you.

Great advice, from a respected Forum Member.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...k-through.html

This thread made me think of you.

Great advice, from a respected Forum Member.

His article is a good read, but I am not planning to start a detailing business anytime soon.

Start-ups will have a tough time doing detailing for a living. It is not getting the equipment and registering a business, but selling the service that is most difficult for a start-up.

People who drive Ferraris and Bentleys are unlikely to trust their car to a start up

Regular car owners (that includes most of the BMW and Mercedes drivers) won't know a difference between swirled and perfectly finished car. But they will notice the difference in price ($12 to $25 for a regular car wash vs. $65 for a basic hand wash and wax and $150+ for a light detailing service, without rotary paint correction).

Also, keep in mind that very large number of car owners today (small to mid-size sedan and SUV owners) just don't have enough disposable income to spend on detailing. If they have any disposable income they will invest it in a big purchase (such as a house), get some Toyota or Hyundai to drive and consider anything above gas an oil change expenses to be a waste of their money. Cars to this segment are transportation means only, and nothing special.

Of course there is a market for detailing (Mike Philips is a proof that a true professional with right marketing skills can build a solid business out of it), but $500 won't get you there.

I do not want to discourage all start-ups. Geographic location and connections may help you start a business without a penny (have uncle Joe who owns a body shop and works with major insurers? know auntie Jane whose husband has a fleet of vehicles that need regular wash and have budget to pay? those are good opportunities for a start up! also, farther away from big cities and closer to areas where hot-rods and spectacularly maintained cars are a sport may help to market the service).

But in most large cities and metropolitan areas it's all about groupon and living social deals where tons of detailers compete with each other to hand wash and wax the car for the price it costs to run your car through automated brushes.

Even though I have no plans to start a detailing service, sharing these thoughts could be helpful for someone else to decide if they want to do it for a living.