autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

clay vs other options

I'm new here. Pretty avid car guy. Have my own side gig detailing cars. I have always used mild clay. Interested in some of the other options such as the towels, sponges etc that are rubbery and can be dropped and cleaned. How long do they last in comparison? Cheaper in the long run? Better cleaning? Safer? Any answers are great. Write me a book, how to manual, etc I will read them all

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the medium grade prep towels for 90% of my work and the fine grade sponges for soft paints.

The towels are cheaper, faster, and remove contamination better. I just replaced my first towel and it did almost 100 vehicles for me, some of which felt like sand paper when I started decontaminating. It was still working well but I just felt like it was time for a new one.

I will never use clay again if I have the choice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a medium grade nano skin block or sponge and it is much faster to prep for polishing and it has already lasted much longer than a block of clay at a fraction of the cost. I don't use it if I'm not going to be polishing though because I figure the contaminates it pulls off doesn't really have anywhere to escape like it can be absorbed by clay. So I use it way more than clay, but I still have clay on hand for when I need it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: clay vs other options

I love the speedy prep clay towels/ nanoskin autoscrubbers. However I still like to use a brand new clay bar on higher end vehicles, maybe just habit.

I've used the nanoskin medium grade pad on a pc to remove heavy industrial overspray, I had to replace it after 3 vehicles however this was an extreme case of use. Otherwise they seem to last forever for light usage.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always clayed my truck as well as other peoples vehicles. Just ordered some speedy prep sponges! Hopefully cut down on my time

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wanting to try something different. What item (blocks, towels, mitts, da) and what band do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Nanoskin fine mitt won't use anything else really. Once in a while I still have to use clay on a really bad car. What every you pick it will save you lots of time and product.

Post Thanks / Like

So where do the particles that have been pulled out of the paint go? Are they safely absorbed into the nano skin ? With clay they are kind of absorbed into the clay. I ordered a nano skin sponge but have not tried it yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    So where do the particles that have been pulled out of the paint go? Are they safely absorbed into the nano skin ? With clay they are kind of absorbed into the clay. I ordered a nano skin sponge but have not tried it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorth View Post
    I use a medium grade nano skin block or sponge and it is much faster to prep for polishing and it has already lasted much longer than a block of clay at a fraction of the cost. I don't use it if I'm not going to be polishing though because I figure the contaminates it pulls off doesn't really have anywhere to escape like it can be absorbed by clay. So I use it way more than clay, but I still have clay on hand for when I need it.
    I still use both

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the nanoskin wash mitts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast