autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Simple green, full strength?

For engine compartment today, dilute, or not?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Simple green, full strength?

I'll always recommend to follow the instructions on the label... Simple Green recommends diluting it (at least on the bottle I use around the house), but I cannot remember the exact ratio off the top of my head.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    I use it at about 25% to clean tools and stuff. It's OK its pretty cheap. For an engine I might use like 40%.

Post Thanks / Like

Full strength for tough oil and grease works wonders, been using it for years... Great product...

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW as per a post this morning on a similar thread Todd H. at Autopiaforums advises against using Simple Green on engines.

Post Thanks / Like

wasn't there some issues with Simple Green and aluminum?
    2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green® on aluminum?

When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green® Cleaner/Degreaser, Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates, and Pro Series™ Simple Green® Automotive Cleaner have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green® product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

Frequently Asked Questions

The website suggests dilution of 1:1 for "Heavy- Stubborn Soils/Heavy Grease"

The section specifically on Engine Cleaning, indicates, use fill-strength

Cleaning Tips

Here are some good tips for Automotive Detailing:

Cleaning Tips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green® on aluminum?

When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green® Cleaner/Degreaser, Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates, and Pro Series™ Simple Green® Automotive Cleaner have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green® product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.
    Because of this, I wouldn't even take a chance. There are too many other quality engine degreasers that AG sells that don't have warnings like this. Just my opinion.
    Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    50/50

Post Thanks / Like

i just used it for 2 engines, full strength straight out of the bottle, nice job, nice product

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast