autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Country pads buying advice

Quote Originally Posted by Legacykid View Post
    6in backing plate will use a 6.5 pad yes.

Most people say a 5.5pad with 5in backing plate, is just easier to use in most situations.
    Due to the backing plate on my machine being 150mm (6 inches) then I cannot attach a smaller size pad, being the 5.5 inch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Which machine do you have?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking to try out a Bosch GEX150T which has Random Orbital and Forced Rotation modes.

I don't think the oscillate throw is as big as other RO/DA's though
    It's around 4.5mm where a Flex 3401 is 8mm.

Post Thanks / Like

What would be the better choice for a beginner: CCS or Flat pads? I've seen numerous recommendations for flat pads, but is either one more forgiving that the other? I plan on buying either a GG6 or 7424XP.

Also, what things should I consider when choosing between Black, Blue or Red finishing pads? The product being used? I would assume these finer pads are only used for applying LSP. But perhaps fine polishing too?

Finally, would the thicker CCS line be the better choice when using smaller diameter pads for detail work? I was watching this video from Mike and around the 9-minute mark, he appears to be using a 4" CCS pad on the PC to polish the headlight area.

My car doesn't have such tight curvature, but perhaps the thicker pad offers a bigger "margin of error" when placing the DA in tighter areas; as in hitting the backing plate or shroud against the paint. I'd like to get a smaller backing plate and pads to use with whichever DA I choose to do the A-Pillars, around the sunroof and smaller areas of the bumpers and trunk on my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Flat pads methinks...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by derass View Post
    What would be the better choice for a beginner: CCS or Flat pads? I've seen numerous recommendations for flat pads, but is either one more forgiving that the other? I plan on buying either a GG6 or 7424XP.

Also, what things should I consider when choosing between Black, Blue or Red finishing pads? The product being used? I would assume these finer pads are only used for applying LSP. But perhaps fine polishing too?

Finally, would the thicker CCS line be the better choice when using smaller diameter pads for detail work? I was watching this video from Mike and around the 9-minute mark, he appears to be using a 4" CCS pad on the PC to polish the headlight area.

My car doesn't have such tight curvature, but perhaps the thicker pad offers a bigger "margin of error" when placing the DA in tighter areas; as in hitting the backing plate or shroud against the paint. I'd like to get a smaller backing plate and pads to use with whichever DA I choose to do the A-Pillars, around the sunroof and smaller areas of the bumpers and trunk on my car.

The foam between the two is identical. One has dimples, and one doesn't. There's not really any difference in results, but the CCS pads run better for me at high speeds, which is why I like them for cutting and polishing. I use flats for applying wax.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'll go with 5.5" flat pads for major work and 4" CCS for detail work. From what I understand, flat pads are easier to keep spinning. So even though it's thicker, a 4" CCS should spin about the same as a 5.5" flat. The added height should make it easier to stick the tool and pad into tight areas.

Any input on black vs blue vs red pads?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234