autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Follow-up to "I screwed up pretty good... advice please" Advice needed again.

Some of you have been following and helping with my recent thread on knicked through the paint on a 1996 Ford F-250.
    Found here:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ce-please.html

Well I finished the truck a few weekends and did not get payment the day it was delivered because it was a family member and trust him. Well now I'm running into a little bit of a situation. I have 26.25 hours in this truck and yes I know that is more than what I wanted to get into it but 10 hours were spent on stripe removal alone because I was being extremely careful after I realized what I had done earlier.

I charged $12 an hour, and yes I know it is extremely low. I'm just getting into detailing and I usually come out alright at that rate for regular wash & waxes. The total bill for this was $291. Seeing that I am 17 it's a little harder to educate people on proper car care and what goes into it. I am working on my skills and my rate will be going up next year. If any of you care to comment on an hourly rate that you think is reasonable for someone of my age please go ahead. I will be under an official business name, with taxes, and possibly insurance. Didn't check into that yet and am aware of the consequences without it.

For those of you that were following the previous thread you know the condition of the truck. Here are a few pictures for those that are not familiar with it.

As you can see the truck is in quite rough shape. It was requested that the owner wanted the truck cleaned up very thoroughly and buff it back to a nice red. As you can see in some of the photos it was previously "buffed" by the previous owner/detailer so those sections of the truck were only hit with a cleaner wax in fear of striking through. The rest of the truck was compounded with M105 + LC Hybrid Blue Pad via Flex 3401 and then polished using M205 +LC Hybrid White pad. The whole vehicle was then sealed with WGDGPS.
    I was extremely happy with the results considering what I was given to work with.

Here are a few before and after photos of the truck.

Now here's the thing. He was very happy with the way the truck turned out but wasn't expecting the $291 bill to go along with it. He was thinking more around 150-175ish range but I thought we were on the same page thinking price-wise. Now when you look at the pictures what kind of value increase do you see in the truck with having the paint is in the condition now? He didn't outright say it but I get the feeling he doesn't think it helped the value considerably to offset the cost. I think it helped the value considerably.

Although I did not return the truck back in perfect condition because of burning through the paint on the bed he seemed very happy on the night of delivery even with the paint issue on the bed being pointed out. Fast forward a week or two and now it seems like he isn't thrilled with the job and he thinks the stripe marks and burn-through spot are a little too evident. What's your opinion? I did get lucky in a sense because it was repainted and I was able to bring the coat of paint underneath it to a nice red instead of seeing bare metal.

I am entirely prepared to get the side of the bed repainted because customer satisfaction is my number one concern. I would just like an opinion on the situation from the great people here on autogeek. Several lessons have been learned through this situation and will not be forgotten for future references.

Thank you and any help is greatly appreciated.
    Dalton

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Follow-up to "I screwed up pretty good... advice please" Advice needed again.

BlueBook for that truck would be;

'EXCELLENT' (You COULD pass this for excellent, even with the defect, but perhaps it'd need the side repainted to be 'excellent')
    $4,165

'VERY GOOD', meaning minor defects; which is what my unqualified opinion thinks it is;
    $3,890

'FAIR' defined as, among other things, the 'paint or body needing professional reconditioning', which it did (and you did!) is;
    $3,290

So worst case? You went from Fair to Very Good, and increased the book value $600. You may even be able to convince someone it's excellent meaning this truck is worth almost $1,000 more than what it was when he dropped it off.

Of course there are variables. I don't know the miles, nor the options, nor the mechanical condition. But, I can't fathom for a second that you didn't improve the value of that truck MORE than $300. Not to mention making it a much more desirable, easier to sell truck. That truck looks better than 99% of '96 F-250's out there, I can tell you that!

I'm not a pro detailer. In fact, I'm a total noob with no desire to ever be a 'pro detailer'. But, I figured I'd throw that out there. I don't know what a good price is or isn't, I don't know what you should do about the burn through. But; I do feel confident saying the truck is worth more than it was before, more than the $291 you are charging him. (I do have a little tiny bit of experience in that regard, as I always sell my cars instead of trading them in and have sold/listed cars for family and friends in the past).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Follow-up to "I screwed up pretty good... advice please" Advice needed again.

Very nice work, hope ya get your money...

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great now get paid

Post Thanks / Like

My young friend you are learning a valuable lesson very early in the game and that is a good thing for your future. Here are my thoughts on the situation and I'm in my mid 60's with years of detailing under my belt:

1. Ask the relative to pay what they think it is worth and accept it without a quibble. Since they are troubled by the damage and if they pay what you want (which is most reasonable) they will hold it against you forever and badmouth you from now on. Grudges are NOT cool in the family.

2. Did the relative or you decide the decals had to come off? If they wanted them off you should have advised them of the negative possibilities but this takes experience. If YOU decided to remove them you should have known that with a truck of this age it may not come out perfectly.....again, experience. Both of which you lack at your young age....not knocking you, just a fact that you now must learn from.

3. Take whatever is offered, apologize for the (minor) damage and let him enjoy his renewed ride. Chalk it up to experience and move forward.

4. You earned more than what you are charging but that isn't the point. Keep the peace in the family, take the money offered, and DO NOT do any more cars of family members. At least not those that require severe correction. Wash & Wax? You bet! Complete revamp with ancient decal removal? NO.

5. Been there, done that, and got my a$$ burned but I learned from it. Make sure you do the same.

By the way.....the truck looks great!
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

That's messed up he doesn't want to pay you what's due. I guess you can chalk this up to a learning experience. In a way it's good that your mistake happened on a beater that the owner doesn't truly value. It's clear that you learned quickly what you were doing wrong and was able to remove the rest of the old stipes without further damage.

I think you did a great job and it turned out nicely. One thing you could do it take some of the before pics and show them to a local car wash/detail shop to get a basic quote. Guarantee they wouldn't even take it, or they would charge a much higher price than what you gave. Besides, even with the damage, you did a better job as a beginner then some "experienced" guys would do at the local car wash. Then you can take that quote back to the owner and show him how much he saved by going to you instead.
    "The shortest and surest way to live with honor in the world is to be in reality what we would appear to be." --- Socrates

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent post RTexasF

My two cents.

First of all...good job. Too bad you damaged the paint. But here's the kicker...call a spade a spade. What you're calling a burn through is not correct. You gouged that paint. Burn through, IMO does not have jagged edges. You damaged the paint plain and simple. Period.

Secondly, used vehicles, and trucks in particular have been selling above KBB value since 2008 with no end in sight. So to say that you added value is quite erroneous in my book. What you did do is clean up a beater truck that the owner values as necessary tool in inclimate weather.

Lastly, if you only used a cleaner wax, and didn't top with a durable product, your hard work will be short lived. I know this from details past. I only use cleaner sealant type products topped with a durable sealant (hybrid) when attempting such turn arounds. These end products are put in maint. rotation and have lasted over a year due to safe washing, spray wax, and reapplication of said sealant.

You could have saved yourself some trouble and heartache by settling the matter promptly. Most obviously by dropping your price at time of pick up to compensate for damages.
    Not being a bubble buster, just playing devil's advocate.

Quote Originally Posted by kochdalton87 View Post
    I burned through single stage paint using an eraser on a drill while removing vinyl stripes.
    For a little background info it is a red 1996 Ford F-250 that belongs to an extended family member and is severely oxidized.
    It is somewhat of a beater truck, mainly gets driven in bad weather when he doesn't want to take out his new edge Mach 1. The rest of the truck is filled with imperfections also.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
    BlueBook for that truck would be;

'EXCELLENT' (You COULD pass this for excellent, even with the defect, but perhaps it'd need the side repainted to be 'excellent')
    $4,165

'VERY GOOD', meaning minor defects; which is what my unqualified opinion thinks it is;
    $3,890

'FAIR' defined as, among other things, the 'paint or body needing professional reconditioning', which it did (and you did!) is;
    $3,290

So worst case? You went from Fair to Very Good, and increased the book value $600. You may even be able to convince someone it's excellent meaning this truck is worth almost $1,000 more than what it was when he dropped it off.

Of course there are variables. I don't know the miles, nor the options, nor the mechanical condition. But, I can't fathom for a second that you didn't improve the value of that truck MORE than $300. Not to mention making it a much more desirable, easier to sell truck. That truck looks better than 99% of '96 F-250's out there, I can tell you that!

I'm not a pro detailer. In fact, I'm a total noob with no desire to ever be a 'pro detailer'. But, I figured I'd throw that out there. I don't know what a good price is or isn't, I don't know what you should do about the burn through. But; I do feel confident saying the truck is worth more than it was before, more than the $291 you are charging him. (I do have a little tiny bit of experience in that regard, as I always sell my cars instead of trading them in and have sold/listed cars for family and friends in the past).
    Interesting points and I will be sure to remember them. At first it seemed like he just wanted to have the truck cleaned up to make it presentable as he is a temporary substitute at a local school but now it seems like he's aiming towards selling it. It's one of those things it is still family so it's better sometimes to just count your losses and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    Very nice work, hope ya get your money...
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    Looks great now get paid
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    My young friend you are learning a valuable lesson very early in the game and that is a good thing for your future. Here are my thoughts on the situation and I'm in my mid 60's with years of detailing under my belt:

1. Ask the relative to pay what they think it is worth and accept it without a quibble. Since they are troubled by the damage and if they pay what you want (which is most reasonable) they will hold it against you forever and badmouth you from now on. Grudges are NOT cool in the family.

2. Did the relative or you decide the decals had to come off? If they wanted them off you should have advised them of the negative possibilities but this takes experience. If YOU decided to remove them you should have known that with a truck of this age it may not come out perfectly.....again, experience. Both of which you lack at your young age....not knocking you, just a fact that you now must learn from.

3. Take whatever is offered, apologize for the (minor) damage and let him enjoy his renewed ride. Chalk it up to experience and move forward.

4. You earned more than what you are charging but that isn't the point. Keep the peace in the family, take the money offered, and DO NOT do any more cars of family members. At least not those that require severe correction. Wash & Wax? You bet! Complete revamp with ancient decal removal? NO.

5. Been there, done that, and got my a$$ burned but I learned from it. Make sure you do the same.

By the way.....the truck looks great!
    1. That is the way I was leaning towards going or if he would like the side of the bed repainted I would front that cost and then either ask him to pay whatever $291-the paint job on the side of the bed cost or just let it go as lesson learned. Above all I do not want any bad mouthing to come out of this situation and may be better just to let it go and move on. (Lesson: Always explain what processes are involved for the task at hand and give them a better idea of the amount of work that goes in to it along with a flexible quote.)

2. The owner and I talked about the stripes and knowing that they were in bad condition he said if I could get the color under the stripes to match the rest of the truck I had permission to go ahead on that. I did do a test spot on the tailgate seeing that was the least obvious place if they did not match. I could see a slight difference in the color since it was repainted with the stripes taped off but made the decision to take the rest off as it would provide a much cleaner look to the rest of the truck. (Lesson: When in a situation like this always double check with the customer and have them look over it physically before proceeding on the rest of the vehicle.)
    (Lesson: Always wear safety glasses while removing vinyl stripes. You never know when a piece will land in your eye (intense pain).)

3. Noted and will leave it up to him partly how he would like to handle it within reason after a lengthy conversation.

4. Agreed. Family > Money

Thank you for your response, it is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by AC in OC View Post
    That's messed up he doesn't want to pay you what's due. I guess you can chalk this up to a learning experience. In a way it's good that your mistake happened on a beater that the owner doesn't truly value. It's clear that you learned quickly what you were doing wrong and was able to remove the rest of the old stipes without further damage.

I think you did a great job and it turned out nicely. One thing you could do it take some of the before pics and show them to a local car wash/detail shop to get a basic quote. Guarantee they wouldn't even take it, or they would charge a much higher price than what you gave. Besides, even with the damage, you did a better job as a beginner then some "experienced" guys would do at the local car wash. Then you can take that quote back to the owner and show him how much he saved by going to you instead.
    Thank you, I was pleased with the overall turnaround on the vehicle. Interesting point and I will take that into consideration.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Transplant View Post
    Excellent post RTexasF

My two cents.

First of all...good job. Too bad you damaged the paint. But here's the kicker...call a spade a spade. What you're calling a burn through is not correct. You gouged that paint. Burn through, IMO does not have jagged edges. You damaged the paint plain and simple. Period.

Secondly, used vehicles, and trucks in particular have been selling above KBB value since 2008 with no end in sight. So to say that you added value is quite erroneous in my book. What you did do is clean up a beater truck that the owner values as necessary tool in inclimate weather.

Lastly, if you only used a cleaner wax, and didn't top with a durable product, your hard work will be short lived. I know this from details past. I only use cleaner sealant type products topped with a durable sealant (hybrid) when attempting such turn arounds. These end products are put in maint. rotation and have lasted over a year due to safe washing, spray wax, and reapplication of said sealant.

You could have saved yourself some trouble and heartache by settling the matter promptly. Most obviously by dropping your price at time of pick up to compensate for damages.
    Not being a bubble buster, just playing devil's advocate.
    To start off, no offense taken with your post. I find your constructive criticism quite helpful. Gouging the paint is a better term for the paint damage, I couldn't think of a better on at the time but good point.

Interesting point on the value. I do agree that used vehicles, especially diesel trucks have been selling for quite substantial amounts compared for what they were going for. On adding value I will agree and disagree with you on that one. When you point it out that way I did not necessarily increase the value of the truck, instead, I helped the condition level of the trucks appearance, therefore slightly helping interest in a prospective buyer. As a buyer that doesn't know a single thing about paint correction would you be more willing to buy a truck that is severely faded or a freshly polished red one? Just a thought and that's how I look at it IMO. You can gladly think otherwise.

I did use a cleaner wax on the previously buffed areas on the truck in fear of doing any damage with severe abrasives and to give it a little bit of a glow before topping with WGDGPS over the entire vehicle. I did mention that with the characteristics of single stage paint, especially one of poor quality will need to be maintained thoroughly and he understood that. I have yet to add Collinite #845 to my arsenal but that is what I will most likely use on this particular vehicle and others in similar situations.

Also, at the time of pick-up the customer seemed alright with the price and didn't seem to have a problem with it or at least didn't reveal that. Thank you for your advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rick from Texas made some good points (so did others).

You would think friends and family would support someone starting out. Sadly it has been my experience that they are looking for deals and would pay a total stranger more for the same work. Best not to do business with them IMHO.

Put things in writing. Make sure both sides have an idea of the work to be done and its cost. When it isn't possible to give a firm estimate I give a "not to exceed" price.

Never bill by the hour. As you get better you will do more/better work in a shorter period of time. You shouldn't be paid less for getting better at your craft and investing in better tools/materials/training.

The world is made of givers and takers. Takers will generally think givers are suckers and deserve to be used. Only you can decide what you deserve.

Frankly, if you hadn't caused that damage....and everything came out looking right....I'd wager most here would be looking for closer to twice what you asked.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast