autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Brand new seat leather - What product would you use to protect it?

If you purchased a new car, took the manufacturers protective fabric off the seats yourself, knew you had some type of coated leather, and you wanted to give it the best shot of survival from drying/cracking/creasing/fading for the next 10 years, what product would you put on it that first day to start protecting it with? And why?

So I have spent the better part of my spare time over the past week reading just about every thread on Autogeek and many online articles about leather. I certainly understand fully there is no consensus regarding standard automotive leather care.

What I know:

1. Most automotive leather is coated/painted in some manner by some kind of plastic/vinyl/poly coating - Although some coated leather reacts differently than others with some seats even releasing pigment when cleaned.
    2. Most discussions are dedicated to cleaning and resurrecting worn leather.
    3. Leather protection (unlike paint protection to a good degree) continues to be clouded in confusion and snake oil and various distinct hardened schools of thought.

I certainly do not expect a consensus in this thread. I just want to know what you would trust to protect brand new seats right now for a brand new car that you plan on keeping for the next 10 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brand new seat leather - What product would you use to protect it?

LeatherMaster's and LTT Leather Care both have excellent products.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I agree everyone has a different school of thought on this. I have had leather seats for years it is one of the few absolutes a car must have for me. Over the years I have used almost everything. What I have found to be the most important is to keep them clean. Lexus/Toyota recommends cleaning them with a weak solution of Woolite. I have used several cleaners over the tears depending how dirty the seats are. If just normal dirt I Think Lexol orange bottle is as good as any. I also feel for the price Mothers VLR is as good as any for light cleaning and treating. Most seats have some vynal areas any way. Cleaning and UV protection are the main things for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    LeatherMaster's and LTT Leather Care both have excellent products.

Bob
    Of the Leather Masters, what would you use? The Protection Cream or the Leather Barrier? I cannot see that Leather Masters products have UV protection. Is UV not something you would be concerned with?

Of the LTT, would you use the Leatherguard Protector or the Ultra Protect?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WantcarPerfect View Post
    I agree everyone has a different school of thought on this. I have had leather seats for years it is one of the few absolutes a car must have for me. Over the years I have used almost everything. What I have found to be the most important is to keep them clean. Lexus/Toyota recommends cleaning them with a weak solution of Woolite. I have used several cleaners over the tears depending how dirty the seats are. If just normal dirt I Think Lexol orange bottle is as good as any. I also feel for the price Mothers VLR is as good as any for light cleaning and treating. Most seats have some vynal areas any way. Cleaning and UV protection are the main things for me.
    You would use Mothers VLR on new seats for protection?

Post Thanks / Like

Detailer's Leather Cleaner and Conditioner, auto leather cleaner, car leather conditioner, best leather cleaner conditioner

i have been using this on my xterra leather seats for months now. PRODUCT WORKS AND IS GREAT. work in with a mf towel/flip and wipe. and the smell is just a bonus.

a review on the product....

Review: Detailer’s Pro Leather Cleaner & Conditioner - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Brand new seat leather - What product would you use to protect it?

I would first clean the leather, wipe with DI water, then use CarPro's F&L. This product is a true coating, providing a mechanical barrier between you and the leather.

While other products may leave leather looking "nice", this stuff is very durable and adds a layer of protection you can still see a month later.

I've also found topping this with CG's new Leather Serum gives the leather that smooth soft feeling.

That's what I use. Real protection. Like a big condom over my seat.

Post Thanks / Like

The main thing is to keep it clean. I use GG Interior cleaner with a micro fiber pad to clean and then wipe on some leather care spray from GG. I also wipe off the excess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    That's what I use. Real protection. Like a big condom over my seat.
    I wish you would do more reviews.

LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by goodinblack View Post
    I wish you would do more reviews.

LOL

Always more coming. Gotta go to my sh*ty job ya know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast