autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Product storage - inside the house or in the garage?

I am wondering if many of my products that I currently store inside my detailing cabinets can be transferred into shelves in the garage? I have tried out quite a few products in search for my favorite, and once I find it, I buy up in bulk. Now I seem to have quite a few 5 liter, 1 gallon, and other bulk APCs, wheel cleaners, and other detailing supplies.

The way that I am thinking about going doing it is putting the chemicals and stuff like that in the garage, while keeping waxes, polishes, coatings, dressings, MF towels, etc. inside the house.

I would think that manufacturers manufacture their products to handle fluctuations in temperatures, but to a certain extent. I live in Dallas so it gets very hot in the summer and somewhat cold in the winter. It gets under freezing sometimes and that's what worries me with the storage. I don't think the heat is too much of an issue because the products are transported on huge freighters or trucks that are not climate controlled before they get to the distributor, retailer, or customer.

What does everyone do? I hate to see a brand new SONAX FE 5L or Optimum Power Clean gallon get ruined in the garage because I don't have the space in the house for it.

Even if it's - don't put this in the garage or yes, this is okay, I appreciate every response. Practical experience answers are great too.

Thank you all for your help! As always, happy detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product storage - inside the house or in the garage?

Well, I lived in Atlanta - kept everything in the garage...and like Dallas, it can get HOT in Hot-Lanta...No issues

Moved to Ohio last year and went through all the seasons...No problem with all my stuff in the garage. Last spring, all the products were fine - some needed a good shake...but my waxes were fine, etc.

So, to answer your question - I think the products will be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as the temps stay below 100°F and above freezing, your products should be okay. The only time I have had issues is when leaving thing in my truck or direct sun. 40°-70°F is usually the range that works best for most products.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Being from the Northeast where we have below freezing temps I transfer all my products to the basement in the winter. I have lost so many different products to freezing that I no longer take a chance. Some seem to be freeze thaw stable while others go bad the first time they freeze.I never had any problems due to heat and my garage gets pretty hot at times in the summer.

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I keep in my garage...EVER...is APC and other cleaners/soaps and that is only spring-fall. All polishes/sealants/wax/clay/RW, etc all stay in the house year round. The stuff that stays in the garage spring-fall will get brought in for winter also.

Too much temp fluctuation here and especially summer humidity. Maybe it would be okay, but for the $$ I have spent on good products, I'd rather just be assured they stay at constant temp/humidity all year round.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

Just my two cents:

You know your environment better than anyone who doesn't live there, so it's up to you on what you really want to do. In my case...

I live in North Carolina (piedmont region), where it gets hot and VERY humid during the summer--especially this summer when it rained over 90% of the season. Generally, the below-freezing-temps-at-night season during the winter is fairly short. Anything that is temp-sensitive and/or humidity-sensitive and NOT airtight I keep in the mud room on the floor; which is only wax and clay.

Humidity doesn't have an effect IF the container is airtight. Temperature is generally the bigger issue.

Post Thanks / Like

I store mine in my garage and have a space heat to keep them at 60 degrees.

Post Thanks / Like

My garage gets pretty cold in the winter here in Pennsylvania so I bought bins to store everything in my basement. Better to be safe then sorry. If I need to use something it's only a short walk then down 12 steps to get them.

Post Thanks / Like

So it seems like most are worried about the cold rather than the heat. I have a thermometer in the garage, and I don't think it got under the low 50s, high 40s last winter. However, last winter was very mild, so who knows what is in store this year.

I think what I will probably do is put the wheel cleaners (some of the color-changing ones really leak their smell, which needless to say is not super pleasant), all purpose cleaners (such as Optimum Power Clean), and some other, cheaper chemicals.

Polishes, waxes, glass cleaners, chrome polish, etc. --- things of that nature, will probably stay in their indoor cabinets year round.

If anyone has seen loss of performance because of heat or cold with some of their products, please comment.

Thank you everyone for your feedback! I really appreciate it. I know that everything indoors is the best, but unfortunately at this point it is just simply not feasible. I welcome any other comments and direction. Happy detailing!

Post Thanks / Like
    I keep my stuff in my bedroom closet all year long and simply take out what I need every time I'm gonna wash car
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast